EMMELINE SR71A The Black Bird
Jan 18, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #16 of 24
Nice rig!
smile.gif

A bit on the bigger side, but certainly portable.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right above your post is a brief mention of that. I do not agree, as I prefer the 71A.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I back up jamato I find the 71a to be an improvement but everyones ears are different as always this is all my opinion but I think most people would agree
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/s...ssions-368639/

Since I wrote that, I have spent a lot of time working through my music collection trying to decide which amp is going to the For Sale forum. The SR71 has more air, openness, soundstage....and gives the impression of finer details. However, the SR71a is warmer with more bass and appears to have better synergy with my iriver H1xx lineout (as it has more body and fullness to the sound).

I like them both. My main complaint on the SR71a is that while there is generous bass and overall great sound, it seems to have a hair less definition (and punch) on certain bass lines then the SR71 demonstrates. Though not necessarily a great song, listen to Eminem's - "Kill Me" on both amps and you'll hear the bass difference immediately.

However, they each score their own points depending on which song you're listening to. The other day shuffle queued up Sean Paul's - "Change the Game" and that was a definite win for the SR71a with a lot of wow factor.

I also did an extensive comparison of the SR71 and the SR71A. In my case I burnt-in the SR71A for over 1,100 hours and I even purchased the Tysonic low impedance and low discharge batteries to give it as much of an edge as I could.

In my case w/ my ears and w/ my equipment/music I found the SR71A not to have as good an extension as the SR71. Perhaps the extension was "hidden" by IMO the SR71A's over abundance of bass. I also find that the SR71 has better clarity, detail, and air between the notes. This makes it much easier to place the instruments w/ the SR71.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #19 of 24
Well, having just bought an SR-71 for a price I couldn't refuse, it's gratifying to hear there isn't too much different between them.
I look forward to comparing my new SR-71 to my Hornet M and then maybe down the road comparing it to the new SR-71A.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 15grams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone? I tried upload my avatar but it dosent show up? is it only for supreme members

It should work for anyone. Just make sure it fits the size requirement.
Of course I haven't found one that "suits" me yet...
tongue.gif

-HK sends

P.S. Thanks for the info on the sleeve.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_sends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should work for anyone. Just make sure it fits the size requirement.
Of course I haven't found one that "suits" me yet...
tongue.gif

-HK sends

P.S. Thanks for the info on the sleeve.

Hey thanks... I got it. I got mix up with profile pics with avartar pics initially. Thanks again.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also did an extensive comparison of the SR71 and the SR71A. In my case I burnt-in the SR71A for over 1,100 hours and I even purchased the Tysonic low impedance and low discharge batteries to give it as much of an edge as I could.

In my case w/ my ears and w/ my equipment/music I found the SR71A not to have as good an extension as the SR71. Perhaps the extension was "hidden" by IMO the SR71A's over abundance of bass. I also find that the SR71 has better clarity, detail, and air between the notes. This makes it much easier to place the instruments w/ the SR71.

Also it could be your ears, headphones, source, etc... to get that result
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also it could be your ears, headphones, source, etc... to get that result
smily_headphones1.gif

Could be, that is what I wrote on my post that you referenced.
confused_face(1).gif
However I did try both amps w/ lots of sources and headphones which leaves my ears as the culprit.
frown.gif
I will add that those whom I know that have heard both the SR71 side by side w/ the SR71A have chosen the SR71 as the better amp. BTW, have you listen to both amps side by side? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back