EMM Labs Gear First Impressions
May 15, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #16 of 42
Insomniac, I noticed you replaced your Reimyo DAP-777 with the Meitner combo. I am looking for a DAC to hook up to my recently delivered Singlepower Supra amp. I’m considering the EMM Labs DAC6e and the Reimyo DAP-777 (1st generation). The transport will be either my notebook using a RME Digiface, Squeezebox digital-out or my NAD 521 BEE. Unfortunately I won’t have the opportunity to audition either unit. Advice anyone?

Jun 17, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #17 of 42
I wish they would make DCC2 without the pre-amp, does anyone know if they have any plans for it?
Do you need to be the original owner to be able to do the $5000 upgrade from DAC6e to the Signature Edition?

Jun 17, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
I wish they would make DCC2 without the pre-amp, does anyone know if they have any plans for it?
Do you need to be the original owner to be able to do the $5000 upgrade from DAC6e to the Signature Edition?

No I don't believe you have to be the origional owner for the upgrade.

Jun 17, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #19 of 42
It would be interesting to hear if that $5000 upgrade can really make an already unbelievable sounding setup sound better...even 5%.

Jun 17, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
It would be interesting to hear if that $5000 upgrade can really make an already unbelievable sounding setup sound better...even 5%.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...re&r=&session=

Here's a link to the DAC6e Signature "review" that disappeared from Audiogon like smoke. "Mikel" obviously thinks Signature is a significant step forward from DAC6e.

Jun 21, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #23 of 42
Can you use DAC6e with two AES/EBU source inputs? I read the manual a few times and it isn't clear enough. You can switch between 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 kHz.
I would connect both Cary 303/300 and EMU0404 to it. If I set EMU0404 to 96 kHz would it work?
It seems like it wouldn't, so perhaps DCC2 is better, can the pre-amp be disabled somehow? The DAC would play music 24/7 and I don't want to waste electricity.
The cheapest DCC2 on Audiogon is twice as much as DAC6e
eek.gif
, what to do?

Which would be better?

1) EMU0404 -> Valhalla digital AES/EBU -> DAC6e Signature Edition
2) Cary 303/300 -> Valhalla digital AES/EBU -> DAC6e old version

Jun 21, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Can you use DAC6e with two AES/EBU source inputs? I read the manual a few times and it isn't clear enough. You can switch between 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 kHz.
I would connect both Cary 303/300 and EMU0404 to it. If I set EMU0404 to 96 kHz would it work?
It seems like it wouldn't, so perhaps DCC2 is better, can the pre-amp be disabled somehow? The DAC would play music 24/7 and I don't want to waste electricity.
The cheapest DCC2 on Audiogon is twice as much as DAC6e
eek.gif
, what to do?

Which would be better?

1) EMU0404 -> Valhalla digital AES/EBU -> DAC6e Signature Edition
2) Cary 303/300 -> Valhalla digital AES/EBU -> DAC6e old version

I would personally go with audio PC route, but that's just me. But if you do go with a soundcard for digital out, I would at least get one with clock input so that it can be slaved to Meitner. I don't believe 0404 has that.

If you get DCC2, don't count out the preamp, which is a great-sounding SS preamp. Unless you had one of those Uber preamps, especially tube such as Asthetix Callisto Signature, Messenger preamp, etc, I would most definitely use DCC2's internal preamp.

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
I would personally go with audio PC route, but that's just me. But if you do go with a soundcard for digital out, I would at least get one with clock input so that it can be slaved to Meitner. I don't believe 0404 has that.

Which soundcards have a clock input?

Jun 28, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #26 of 42
Major Congrats on the Uber Acquisition! I'm looking forward to hearing more as you settle in with it.

Jul 1, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #27 of 42
Did you have any chance to compare the EMM Labs setup to any of the Esoteric gear? I'm thinking about buying the P-03/D-03 combo, but have always had an eye on the Meitner gear.

Jul 2, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #28 of 42
I have both the DV-50 and the CDSD/DAC6 e combo and although the Meitner is a clear winner for both redbook and multichannel SACD, the Esoteric is unbelievably good in everything it does including video and DD/DTS encoding plus offers the option of DVD-Audio.

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I have both the DV-50 and the CDSD/DAC6 e combo and although the Meitner is a clear winner for both redbook and multichannel SACD, the Esoteric is unbelievably good in everything it does including video and DD/DTS encoding plus offers the option of DVD-Audio.

I wouldn't expect the DV-50 to keep up with the EMM gear. The DV-50, as nice as it is, is a bread and butter product for Esoteric. Plus it relies on their older DSD-PCM conversion technology. The P-03/D-03 is a completely different beast built strictly for audio with much more focus put on the ouput stages. It does not convert DSD-PCM and can even do a PCD-DSD up-conversion. It also uses the VDRS-Neo. While I would love t get the P-01/D-01 combo, I'm not shelliing out $50K for that privilege, so the P-03/D-3 combo is really my focus. I would consider the EMM gear if they built a 2 channel DAC w/o the preamp functions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back