Emigration
Oct 12, 2008 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

devin_mm

1000+ Head-Fier
So I am thinking of selling everything (Except my triple-fi's ipod, notebook, and camera stuff) and moving to Europe or something has anyone else done this? I was thinking of traveling for a while then trying to get citizenship and maybe setting down. Does anyone have any suggestions on European countries that make it easy to do something like that (friendly immigration policies and such). I love Canada but I think there has to be more to the world then that.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I am thinking of selling everything (Except my triple-fi's ipod, notebook, and camera stuff) and moving to Europe or something has anyone else done this? I was thinking of traveling for a while then trying to get citizenship and maybe setting down. Does anyone have any suggestions on European countries that make it easy to do something like that (friendly immigration policies and such). I love Canada but I think there has to be more to the world then that.

I'm pretty sure there's more to the world than Canada.

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure there's more to the world than Canada.

Lol.
biggrin.gif

I live in The Netherlands. Don't come here. It's a nice country and all, but only to live in IMO. Unless you like Amsterdam, there's nothing special here. I'd like to see Berlin one day and maybe London.
I think if I was to emigrate I would go to the US.

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 37
You'd better have a damn good career path in mind...

I love "europe" just as much as the next guy, but minimum/low wage work suck pretty hard for standard of living, especially if you have no base or family backup.

Other than that, I'm not sure I'd want to live anywhere else.

flag-smiley-7325.gif

EK

Oct 12, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 37
If you can get a good paying job, the standard of living in europe will probably surpass the american one, however living on the minimum wage in europe is very hard and the quality of life sucks. Hopefully you know someting about nuclear energy, since the uk is allwoing in like 10000 immigrants from anywhere to work in the upgrading/running of power plants and grid.

Oct 12, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 37
I'm very happy with Australia.

We're third on UN's human development index, behind Iceland and Norway. We all know Iceland's troubles and i suspect that Norway has been hit harder than Australia with the world's recent financial struggles So in my biased opinion we're currently no.1.

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by nef /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We're third on UN's human development index, behind Iceland and Norway. We all know Iceland's troubles and i suspect that Norway has been hit harder than Australia with the world's recent financial struggles So in my biased opinion we're currently no.1.

Doubtful!
wink_face.gif

No financial crisis over here yet, besides a couple of Icelandic owned banks which have closed down.

Guess its helps that Norway have an petroleum fund worth ~350 billion (350,000,000,000) USD as a buffer.
The Government Pension Fund of Norway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 37
Hmmm, i guess Norway is a more than worthy opponent in the UN development ranks. Okay, Norway can have no.1 position, for now...

Australia doesn't have a 350bn lump of cash. That said, we do have 40 percent of the world's uranium, but nuclear isn't a very popular energy option - although it should be IMO.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by nef /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was thinking about Australia I had a friend who moved there for three years and loved it. A benefit of Australia is the fact that I don't have to learn a new language because I was looking at Germany which I know a bit but not enough to live there.

Yeah the job is always the hard part, currently I am employed as a Network Administrator so I hope there is a market out there for something like that.

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 37
Have you considered doing a Master's degree (or even a Bachelors if you don't have one) in another country rather than going to work? It'd allow you to get a feel for the country with no commitment, the amount of paperwork you have to do is low, you'd work on your skills, and usually it's easier to immigrate once you're a student, plus with the way the world economy is, it's not a bad time to be in school.

You're working in the oil patch, right? I suspect you'd be looking at a drop in pay if you go work anywhere else in the world (including Manhattan these days).

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 37
The grass is always greener on the other side of the border. Since Edmonton is on the same latitude as Moscow, why not move to Russia. At least you'd have similar weather (unless Edmonton gets chinooks...I know Calgary does).

I'm originally from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. Somehow I ended up in western Pennsylvania (about an hour or so from Pittsburgh). There is something cool in moving around the world. I've been down and out in Paris and London. I have spent a few weeks in India (I'd like to spend more time there). Many that I know like Austrailia and New Zealand.

Let your wanderlust carry you away. See the world. Ireland is booming (or was until recently). That might be a worthy destination.

Cheers!

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #15 of 37
I would love to live in france, personally. Since they (and most of europe) have amazing health care systems, education, and government support for families. I have no idea about availability of work and wage though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back