Emia Headphone Attenuator
Jan 19, 2014 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MohawkUS

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anyone seen this new 'amplifier' on StereoDesk yet?
http://stereodesk.com/collections/emia/products/emia-headphone-attenuator

I'm surprised no one has tried something like this before as the concept behind it seems relatively simple. I don't understand the electronic aspect here but there are some headphone amplifiers out there that output 100mw or less whilst your average source outputs 2V(I suppose you'd need to know the current output to make an actual comparison.) So to me, it sounds like a decent idea.

I've been toying around with the idea myself as one of my vintage amplifiers has a 'tape output' which outputs the source directly into a 1/4'' plug. I got very good results with the Beyerdynamic T90(perfect volume) and it is just about there with my Ultrasone ED12s. Considering the result wasn't bad direct which is always going to have a bad impedance mismatch I am very interested in the concept behind this product. Considering how well the Edition12 is amped with my puny Sansa Fuze and the old CD player I've got here(single op-amp amplifier) and I have a preference for 'minimalist' design, I can't help but be curious about the Emia.

I'm figuring one of the DIYers here has probably tried something like this at some point, or maybe someone with electrical experience will have an idea on how well this will work. I'm tempted to pick this one up in a month or two to match with my ED12s, but I'd be going in about as blind as one can be.

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 2
Has anyone seen this new 'amplifier' on StereoDesk yet?
http://stereodesk.com/collections/emia/products/emia-headphone-attenuator

I'm surprised no one has tried something like this before as the concept behind it seems relatively simple. I don't understand the electronic aspect here but there are some headphone amplifiers out there that output 100mw or less whilst your average source outputs 2V(I suppose you'd need to know the current output to make an actual comparison.) So to me, it sounds like a decent idea.

I've been toying around with the idea myself as one of my vintage amplifiers has a 'tape output' which outputs the source directly into a 1/4'' plug. I got very good results with the Beyerdynamic T90(perfect volume) and it is just about there with my Ultrasone ED12s. Considering the result wasn't bad direct which is always going to have a bad impedance mismatch I am very interested in the concept behind this product. Considering how well the Edition12 is amped with my puny Sansa Fuze and the old CD player I've got here(single op-amp amplifier) and I have a preference for 'minimalist' design, I can't help but be curious about the Emia.

I'm figuring one of the DIYers here has probably tried something like this at some point, or maybe someone with electrical experience will have an idea on how well this will work. I'm tempted to pick this one up in a month or two to match with my ED12s, but I'd be going in about as blind as one can be.

So did you ever pick one up and try it?  I'm interested in this item for headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back