EMI Shielding
Nov 29, 2010 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

T.B.N.

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have an X-Fi Xtreme Music, what I guess would be considered a midrange card, but the DAC is supposedly pretty good. Of course the gaming element and processor is useless now that EAX is dead, but that doesn't matter much for me as long as the card sounds good.

So in addition to rolling the op-amps, I think it might be worth it to use EMI shielding. What do I use? In the X-Fi Modding thread it says to use ERS paper, but I'm not sure what that is. Looked it up on parts connexion and it goes for between $24 and $140. All I need is a bit to cover the sound card. What exactly is the product I need? Are there options for it? I'm a little confused.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 6
+1, i would also LOVE to know how to EMI shield devices.

Although i thought any metal would work.. i was thinking of just bending sheet metal into a shield, putting some electrically resistive material (silicone?) on the edges.. and slipping it on.

But i too, am extremely curious

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 6
In my experience to prevent EMI you need to first prevent ghosting in the indivudal fibers in the cable through lots twists, also make the cables as sealed as possible with 0 oxygen penetration to prevent oxidation.
As for shielding i would think if you had something to ground it using copper, but its already in a plastic/ pvc shieath.
most likely a blend of copper threads and a nylon around the wire would prvent EMI.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
In my experience to prevent EMI you need to first prevent ghosting in the indivudal fibers in the cable through lots twists, also make the cables as sealed as possible with 0 oxygen penetration to prevent oxidation.
As for shielding i would think if you had something to ground it using copper, but its already in a plastic/ pvc shieath.
most likely a blend of copper threads and a nylon around the wire would prvent EMI.

Do you mean that twists prevent ghosting, or twists promote ghosting?

Sorry, I'm a total noob at these things xD. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back