EMI problems with GoVibe Martini-U?
Sep 13, 2012 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MelonPan

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!
smily_headphones1.gif
New guy here. Been an on and off lurker here on Head-Fi and finally decided to create an account as I have some questions I need answered but cant find despite searching several threads.

Now first of all I'm new to the audiophile world and am not equipped with the necessary knowledge to fully understand terms like
sparkle or balanced ground so bare with me if I need more explanation than normal.
confused_face(1).gif

Anyways I recently got a pair of Shure se535s and my first portable amp, the GoVibe Martini-U. There's some hissing sound to the amp but I can tolerate that since its only audible when there's no music playing or when the music is soft. My main problem with the amp is the interference I get when using it.

The interference doesn't only occur when someone calls my cellphone, its noticeable even when I'm near certain electronics like my PC (I just can't ignore that constant buzzing). And when I'm taking the subway the interference can get so bad that I will sometimes get a loud high pitched screech that hurts my ear (probably because of all the static or whatever caused by the trains). I love listening to music wherever I go and I take the subway a lot so you can imagine how huge a problem this is to me.
triportsad.gif
Which brings me to my first and second question.

1. Is it normal for portable amps to cause such problems? I'm aware that all portable amps have interference but I don't see much people mentioning it in their reviews. I just can't see how people can ignore the buzzing sound in the background no matter how well the amps drive their headphones.

2. If yes then how do you guys combat this problem? I've read solutions like wrap the amp up in foil, do they work? What would be a practical solution and still make it portable? (Can't imagine carrying an amp wrapped in foil around)

I've tried just plugging my IEMs into my amp (no DAP connected) and there's interference so its definitely the amp. But one thing I noticed is that the amp seems to pick up even MORE interference when the LOD to my iPod is plugged in (still not connected to DAP).

3. Does the LOD play a big part in my EMI problem? And will purchasing a better LOD possibly solve my problem? (Some kind of signal filter or whatever
confused.gif
)

Thinking of possibly getting another amp, I went online and read that amps like FiiO's E17 and JDS Labs' C421 seems to have little to no EMI issues. So my last question.

4. Are the 2 amps mentioned really "EMI free" per say and what are some other portable amps in that price range would you guys recommend?

Sorry for the long first post! Any help or insight into the matter is GREATLY appreciated!
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back