Elpac vs Steps on M cubed?
Apr 20, 2005 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spike33

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently have m cubed with elpac psu. I am wondering how much difference a steps psu would make? Is it worth getting?

Apr 20, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
I currently have m cubed with elpac psu. I am wondering how much difference a steps psu would make? Is it worth getting?

The Elpac WM080 is ok if you stay with the default bias point for the M³ (i.e., 80mA quiescent current through the MOSFETs for each channel), and do not plan to drive ultra low-impedance and low-efficiency loads (i.e., speakers). The M³ will draw close to 300mA in this configuration, which is almost the maximum rating of the Elpac WM080 (330mA).

The STEPS has higher output current capability and lower ripple/noise, so theoretically there is some benefit over the Elpac. Whether you'd be able to hear a difference is an interesting question.

Apr 20, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 6
i guess it would depend on the system its used in?

i mean when i built my m3 i had no psu for it so i took a simple +-15v psu using generic parts and fixed voltage regulators and hey i hear no psu artefacts thus far. but i dont have a steps to compare it to, and my source is the weaker link in my chain right now so it may hide any artefacts.

i am waiting on tread boards to arrive(hopefully today), simple lm317 circuit dedicated to the m3 will be nice, it would be even nicer if the tread allowed use of discrete diodes rather then a w0x bridge but again i doubt it would make a huge difference. i plan on using a filtered iec socket too, so that will bring some of the steps features to the table.

Apr 20, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 6
I swapped an Elpac WM080 for a STEPS on a phono amp yesterday and was fairly surprised at the drop in background noise. I made a few other changes at the same time though (shielded case, and swapped some OPA2134s for OPA2227s) so I'm not sure what was responsible for the improvement.

I wouldn't be surprised if the M-cubed is a little less finicky about power supply quality than my phono amp but the STEPS is simply a better PSU in every sense except for cost. If you've got the cash and feel like you want to understand power supplies better, then I'd say go for it. But unless you're hitting the Elpac's upper limit on current capability, I don't think you should feel obligated to.

Apr 21, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 6
they really are tiny!@ built a couple up today but havent connected it to a transformer yet. im just glad i had a fine tip point for some of the joints
orphsmile.gif

tread.jpg

im going to try hooking one up to a wallwart when i get a chance
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back