Elma Resistor and Dynahi Resistor Group Buys
Aug 23, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #19 of 25
I would be interested in one dynahi(2 board) setup and one attenuator.

The attenuator would be for the dynahi, so whenever someone smarter than me figures that out(25k or 50k) let me know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Depending on the price and which resistors we get, I would probably upgrade my order to three dynahi's worth of resistors.

Aug 25, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #20 of 25
would a 25k or a 50k rating be better for a dynahi? would the same value be best for a balanced dynahi?

I have heard that maybe a 50k rating would be better.

Aug 25, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #21 of 25
AFAIK the attenuator resistance depends on how low your source can handle. Sources with Tube based output can drive a 25-50k attenuator and SS sources(most w/ opamp as output stage) can drive as low as 10k without problem. Lower resistance will have reduced HF roll-off and less coloration from the cable.

Aug 25, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #22 of 25
Put me down for 3 Dynahi's and 1 Elna.

Aug 25, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #23 of 25
A few notes about the Dynahi -- the potentiometer for the Dynahi was originally specified by Kevin Gilmore to be 10K. Also, the resistor values for the Dynahi are both up on the original thread and are actually shown on the board itself.

There are two points on the board where users have the option to either use a single resistor value or two resistors in parallel. Specifically, at the top of the board just below the each of the output transistors are eight pairs of two spots for 20 ohm output resistors -- the builder can either use two of these 20 ohm resistors or a single 10 ohm resistor. Also, near the 2sa1145 and 2sc2705 slots are two pairs of two spots for 300 ohm resistors -- these can be changed to 150 ohms as well. I can't recall the specific reason for these additional slots...maybe we should ask the man himself.

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #24 of 25
I am starting to think that the group buy with the resistors is more trouble than it is worth. I would have no problem doing it if it would result in a good discount. But many of the resistors I would only need about 60 resistors which would not result in much of a discount. Like I said if someone knows where I can get resistors cheap in quantities of 100 then I would be happy to head the group order. I noticed Allied has some of the RN60's for .07 when bought in 100 quantity but many values were $15 for 100 and many values were not listed. If anyone wants to call up allied and find out how much the values that are not listed would cost I would be happy to order and distribute the parts. I just don't have time to go over every part with allied and figure out the prices(32 different resistor values for 25k, 32 for 50k, and 12 for the dynahi). Like I said, if anyone does find out that this would make good economical sense to do a group buy then I would be happy to do it, but if a group buy means only saving $1 then it simply isn't worth it to me. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or know of anywhere to get the resistors cheap at 100 quantities. The lowest quantitiy of any one resistor would be about 52 resistors, while the highest would be around 400 depending on the value

Aug 29, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by CBMC
I am starting to think that the group buy with the resistors is more trouble than it is worth.

Now that you mention it, yes I think you are right. Not only it's probably not worth the small savings (if any), it's too many different resistors, it will be way too much work for one person to prepare the packages of resistors that would go to each person. The work I did for the dynahi boards was mostly just taking the number of boards each buyer required, and putting that number of boards in a bundle for that person. Believe it or not that is a lot of work, and boards were all the same, nothing to double check there. The resistors are so many and so small, it will be much more work to put each package together with no error. I think it's better indeed each person gets them independently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back