Elliott Smith dead at 34
Oct 22, 2003 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
I swear this is the first time I've ever been really sad about somebody I've never met dying. One of the best songwriters that has ever lived, died of an "apparent suicide."

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/20...iottsmith.html

This week just went from bad to worse.
frown.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 17
There's been clues, no? I mean this isn't shocking is it? At least he followed the music. I don't mean that to be insensitive, I just don't know how you put out that much closely related to the subject output and not finally do it... well or change.

Oct 22, 2003 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 17
blessingx, I'm a little surprised at you.
Lots of artists make sad music and die old men. There's no way this "had to be". It's a damn shame, an absolute tragedy and a true loss to the music world. He was just one album away from really establishing himself as a truly IMPORTANT artist, in the leagues w the greats.

I suppose we will get the gruesome and ghoulish 2CD set he was working on apparently alone in his basement. The pitchfork article talks a little about some of the material :http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/03-10/22.shtml

This makes me very sad.

frown.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 17
There's a difference between had to be and not shocking. Again I'm not trying to be insensitive, but out of any artist I listen too I guess I'm least surprised by this one taking this step. I've called his "suicide music" long before today. I'll back out now as this is likely a space for those wanting to express their sadness. And this event is sad.

Oct 22, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 17
I woke up and saw this. Very sad
frown.gif
At grinch's urging I listened to Either/Or and it's quite wonderful and lovely. It's really a shame...

Oct 23, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 17
frown.gif
he was a great musician but i could never listen to his stuff for too long. i'm just too close to that edge.

he will be missed.

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 17
This makes Luke Wilson's suicide scene in Royal Tenenbaums seem extra creepy.
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by mclaren20
This makes Luke Wilson's suicide scene in Royal Tenenbaums seem extra creepy.
frown.gif

i was just thinking that.

i've often sung or listened to smith's songs when i'm in the gutter about things... and "needle in the hay" when i'm especially susceptible to negative emotions.

elliott smith's music will be missed and he'll be remembered as a wonderful musician.

Oct 24, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
i was just thinking that.

i've often sung or listened to smith's songs when i'm in the gutter about things... and "needle in the hay" when i'm especially susceptible to negative emotions.

elliott smith's music will be missed and he'll be remembered as a wonderful musician.

Ohhh? Elliott Smith wrote that? I've only heard the cover of it by Bad Astronaut, I wasn't sure where it was from. I'll have to check the original out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back