Eliminating cord-noise from ER-4P
Nov 25, 2003 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

mtbiac

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering getting some ER-4P but although every review praises it for exceptional sound quality, most criticize the amount of noise the cord produces from rubbing against a shirt, etc.

Is there a way to reduce this noise? has Etymotic adddressed the issue yet? I heard the newer models have a braided cable which helps the problem but I plan on buying a slightly used pair as I cannot afford $250 at this time. Any ideas on how to stop this noise? I searched but couldnt find what i was looking for exactly...

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 26
I have the new 4P's. Either the problems has been mostly fixed or the microphonics problem is greatly exaggerated. I suspect the former. The Etys comfort issue though isn't talked about as much as maybe it should (comparison to Grados, which the Etys take more to get use to). I'd be more concerned with that. Otherwise really nice phones.

Nov 25, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 26
Yes, I got the new Etymotic ER-4P with the braided cable and it is much less microphonic than the older ER-4S I had several months ago. I can actually MOVE without hearing that annoying microphonic sound. It doesn't totally disappear but it is much quieter than before.

Nov 25, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 26
I am wondering if the mod posted by AdamZuf completely eliminates microphonic noises? It looks like a great idea, but I would be worried the setup would come undone while in my pocket or while removing the earphones from my ear, no?

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 26
Although I cannot compare the old cable to the new, I can however compare the new to Xin's (Fixup's) cord replacement, which he stopped making a while ago. For me at least, there is a substantial reduction with Xin's cord. Yes, you'll still hear the bump when the cord hits your shirt, but the way the cord is built and how it angles from your ears makes microphonics much less so. The only caveat I see is that the Xin cord appears very cheap looking and its build quality, not to detract from Xin's awesome work, is not up to par with a professionally done cord. Happy listening - and I love my Etys.
etysmile.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 26
i also don't know if the microphonics are exaggerated or the problem was fixed but this IMO should not be a main concern for buying them. i think the noise you hear from your feet hitting the ground while walking is more noticeable then the noise from rubbing or tapping the cord (though this is not a huge deal and probably can't be improved becuase of the earplug suction)

i really have no problem with the cord noise. i think the problem with comfort is more an issue. some can't get used to the feeling of plugs in their ears.

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by hop ham
i also don't know if the microphonics are exaggerated or the problem was fixed but this IMO should not be a main concern for buying them. i think the noise you hear from your feet hitting the ground while walking is more noticeable then the noise from rubbing or tapping the cord (though this is not a huge deal and probably can't be improved becuase of the earplug suction)

i really have no problem with the cord noise. i think the problem with comfort is more an issue. some can't get used to the feeling of plugs in their ears.

OK thanks. I have owned a few pair of in-ear earphones and dont mind them at all (EX71lp were the last ones i owned). If the cord noise isnt THAT big of a deal then I'll go ahead and buy a pair. I wont be walking around with them in anyways, just while sitting/lying down.

thanks

Nov 25, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 26
How big a problem it is for you may depend on what you wear. With the braided cable, I find that microphonics (the rustling kind from small movements, not the thump kind from big movements) depend a lot on the shirt I'm wearing.

t-shirt, sweatshirt, fuzzy sweater, flannel: no problem

oxford cloth, any starched or pressed dress shirt: significant rustling

Nov 25, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
Yes, I got the new Etymotic ER-4P with the braided cable and it is much less microphonic than the older ER-4S I had several months ago.

Is eytmotics selling the new cables separately as well?? I have the ER 4S, bought almost 4 years ago. Wouldn;t mind getting a new cable if it would emit less the microphonics.

Nov 25, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
Is eytmotics selling the new cables separately as well?? I have the ER 4S, bought almost 4 years ago. Wouldn;t mind getting a new cable if it would emit less the microphonics.

They can do a cable switch for $50 but I don't know if they sell the S cable braided. I know it just a different resistor where it joins so it should be possible. I had my old P cable replaced with the new one. Just call their customer service and find out.

One thing, the cable is still just as microphonic, it's just so flexible it doesn't bounce around anymore. They also shortened the length from where they join to the drivers but the cable whole cable is still 5' long. I'm happy with the switch.

Nov 26, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 26
I have the braided cord on my newer ER-4S, so they made that revision for all of them now. I didn't know what all the talk was of the braided vs. not braided, that makes more sense now.
etysmile.gif

Nov 26, 2003 at 7:04 AM Post #13 of 26
Using the included shirt clip really reduced the microphonics for me. I hear practially no microphonics when I work at my desk and it is present but does not interfere with the music when I walk around. The only drawback is that it can be a little tricky to arrange at first- and some people might find it uncomfortable with a clip on their shirt.

My experiences have been great though, once I put the clip on for the first time I have never used it without
biggrin.gif

Ruahrc

Nov 26, 2003 at 7:39 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by mtbiac
I am wondering if the mod posted by AdamZuf completely eliminates microphonic noises? It looks like a great idea, but I would be worried the setup would come undone while in my pocket or while removing the earphones from my ear, no?

you do hear your steps and all of the stuff you can't avoid, but it's ain't from the cable.
you here NOTHING from the cable. not even strong wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back