Eliciting the best deal from BMG ...
Jun 18, 2002 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kerelybonto

doo-di-doo-di-dum doo-di-dum doo-di-doo-di-dum
Okay, I'll try this once more with more subdued verbiage and see if I can keep it from getting deleted. ...

Some of you may have noticed that BMG and the other music 'clubs' employ a marketing scheme similar to that utilized by the most successful crack dealers -- they basically give away music until you're hooked, then take your money while you come back again and again, begging for some new tunes. (Well, you don't beg for tunes from a crack dealer, you know, but that brings back bad memories ...) Further, they try to hide all the details of membership besides those required to avoid getting sued (at least all the time), so it's pretty confusing to figure out how to get the best deal out of them. Now, in the interest of consumer protection (but not conning BMG -- that would be entirely inappropriate, of course), I offer this thread.

First, can anyone clarify the rules on membership? Is it possible to have more than one account per address? Per name? Per anything?

Second, quitting and rejoining -- how does this work? First, how exactly does one cancel a membership, anyway? They quite conveniently don't explain how to do so anywhere, so I assume one must write to them. Is that correct? Now, on rejoining, is the twelve-for-one deal available again, or what incentive do they offer to get people to rejoin?

Basically, what are the best ways to work BMG -- without conning them, of course -- to get the most music for the money? Is staying with BMG even a good way to do this? Should I just join a bunch of music clubs, get their introductory offers, then quit?

Anyone?

kerelybonto

Jun 18, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 18
I don't see why anyone would be over-sensitive to your questions...

After you bought one CD at full price you fulfilled your obligations and can quit - there's an online form on their web site to do this - you don't even have to talk to some whiney person. After that you can apply for a new membership (with the same deal "12 for 1" or maybe they will send you a better offer personally).

They (I believe) have a restriction "one membership per person"; they allow different people in one household to have different accounts simultaneously. Anyway the key is you always apply for membership. They always (even if it's your first application ever) have a right to decline without specifying their reasons.

I don't think there's anything immoral (let alone illegal) in quiting right after you fulfilled your obligation. What is better for you is for you to decide. Just keep in mind that they always have some "special offers" that bring CD prices to $7-8 including S&H. They even used to have "clearances" where CDs were sold at $3+S&H - I got some fine jazz remasters that way.

Jun 18, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 18
The way it used to work a few years ago was like this:

You could have up to two (2) individuals signed-up at any given address. Any additional would be questioned at the very least and most likly just denied.

There was a 1 year waiting policy from the time you quit to the time you could rejoin.

As for getting the best deals, sign up with 2 accounts and *ONLY* fufill on a buy 1 get 2 (or sometimes 3) free deal. Cancel the subscription, wait and renew. Sometimes though they will entice you back with some killer deals to keep you from canceling. You *might* be able to leverage several months of buy one get two free out of this (it worked for a friend of mine).

[SOAPBOX]
I stopped using the clubs because they flat rip-off the artists even more than the regular CD outlets. Any 'sale price' CD the artist sees absolutely nothing from. This is why you just can't find any Beatles or Ani Difranco and sometimes you see items that are full-price-only (ever notice that these are usually all form the same artists?).

I don't mind ripping off, err, taking advantage of the record companies but it does bother me to actively play a role in a system that sees that the artists get nil. At least with Napster *everyone* was getting screwed equally.
[/SOAPBOX]

Jun 18, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 18
I belonged to both Columbia and BMG many years ago when they had the annoying cards that you were required to mail back. I found that using tthem was a good way to build an initial collection but that after a time the CDs that you really wanted became few and far between. I dropped out of both and I think that I got alot of titles and they made some money. One thing I noted at the time was that shipping ate you up if you were not careful. If memory serves me correctly it was an additional incentive to buy more CDs. I also agree that alot of artists are not represented in their lists (another reason for my resignation).

Jun 19, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 18
columbia house has a buy 1, get 12, buy 4 in the next 2 years at regular price. Doesn't BMG do the same?
confused.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 18
No, BMG's is a 12-for-1 deal where you only pay full price on one and just the shipping on 11 others. I did the math, and the initial deal is better at BMG than Columbia house.

So holding out for buy-one-get-two-free deal is the way to go after using up the initial offer? I'll wait for one of those, then maybe quit. Eventually, of course, I won't be able to find out what I want at BMG, but my collection is small at this point, so I think I can still benefit for a while. ...

kerelybonto

Jun 19, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Eventually, of course, I won't be able to find out what I want at BMG, but my collection is small at this point, so I think I can still benefit for a while. ...

kerelybonto

Search thier online catalog. It's got a lot of stuff in it.

Jun 20, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 18
I just went to Columbia House's website and search for all the cds I want to get. I only found 5 out of the 25 I want.
frown.gif
I guess Columbia House isn't for me. Although I really wish i could get cds from them again.

Jun 20, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #12 of 18
What a weird coincidence, this thread....I just hit "submit" on a BMG order about ten minutes ago.

I ordered:
  1. Alana Davis, Blame It On Me
  2. Alana Davis, Fortune Cookies
  3. Bill Frisell, Nashville
  4. Compay Segundo, Las Flores de la Vida
  5. Dwight Yoakam, Hillbilly Deluxe
  6. Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars
  7. Gipsy Kings, Somos Gitanos
  8. Shelby Lynne, I Am Shelby Lynne

A couple of these are duplicates to replace damaged CDs. A few I ordered after flipping through last year's Stereophile "Records To Die For" list. And a couple of them my wife and I wanted after listening to sample tracks from a Barnes & Noble Nonesuch Label sampler.

Jun 20, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #13 of 18
Pepsione1, when I was deciding which music club to join, BMG looked like they had the best selection (for my tastes anyway). You might want to try them if Columbia House isn't working for you. As I said earlier, their introductory offer is better anyway.

So about how often do the buy-one-get-two free and other great deals appear? I don't think I've ever noticed anything besides the buy-one-get-one-free or the buy-one-get-the-rest-half-off deals. ...

kerelybonto

Jun 20, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
So about how often do the buy-one-get-two free and other great deals appear? I don't think I've ever noticed anything besides the buy-one-get-one-free or the buy-one-get-the-rest-half-off deals. ...

As of today, the current offer is "Buy 1, Get 2 FREE, Plus UNLIMITED $2.99". These sorts of deals come about quite often.

Jun 20, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 18
Hmm, my offer is still buy-one-get-one-free. I wonder if it's customer dependent ... maybe I have to buy some more stuff before I start getting the really good offers. Anyone know?

kerelybonto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back