Elfidelity Power Filter Card
Jul 5, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #31 of 42
If you want to find great information on the best power supplies head over to badcaps.net where this is discussed at length. I have never heard anyone mention the ripple handling of a power supply. But the ripple handling of the capacitors in the supply is definitely important. The brand and type of capacitors used will always come up as well as design choices and screenshots of internals. There are entire threads there dedicated to picking apart specific models as well as threads dedicated to the most shameful designs.
Sweet, thanks!

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #32 of 42
If you want to find great information on the best power supplies head over to badcaps.net where this is discussed at length. I have never heard anyone mention the ripple handling of a power supply. But the ripple handling of the capacitors in the supply is definitely important. The brand and type of capacitors used will always come up as well as design choices and screenshots of internals. There are entire threads there dedicated to picking apart specific models as well as threads dedicated to the most shameful designs.
Wow ! Amazing that this thread is still running . I never got an email notification before now . Good to find out about badcaps.net @Logistics - thanks !

I always used to check out PSU reviews at johnnyguru -seems the site doesn;t exist anymore and Johnny guru is working for Corsair IIRC .

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/jonnyguru-talks-about-power-supplies.261018/

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/?category=Power+Supplies&manufacturer=&pp=25&order=date

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #33 of 42
With the mass amount of different SMPS computer PSU out there I got confused. So I just purchased a Evga Supernova P6 Platinum 650W PSU. Seasonic makes this PSU for Evga. So in a few days I get to test the theory if a slightly better spec'd PSU for the source will improve sonic performance. If there is a sonic performance bump after burn-in I will note it in this thread. Opportune time since I have two other cables I will be burning in 24/7 at the same time.

Sep 7, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #34 of 42
Interested to see what kind of improvements you get Costa. Can someone confirm for me the Pcie filter, all you do is pop it into a free slot and it does it’s job? No drivers or other hookups right? I’m interested as it seems like a low cost low risk tweak and I’m always looking to get the most out of my PC rig. I just want to make sure it operates the way I think it does. Thanks!

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #35 of 42
Interested to see what kind of improvements you get Costa. Can someone confirm for me the Pcie filter, all you do is pop it into a free slot and it does it’s job? No drivers or other hookups right? I’m interested as it seems like a low cost low risk tweak and I’m always looking to get the most out of my PC rig. I just want to make sure it operates the way I think it does. Thanks!
I did not try the PCIE or USB cards, I have no more PCIE slots left to try them. I have two of their SATA and 3 fan filters in my system. Their is a slight audible performance increase with each filter. There is a slight (maybe 100 hours or so) break-in time. None of the filters audibly negatively impacted the system. Also the Evga PSU I installed also slightly improved performance. I also dampened all fan mounts to chassis and dampened chassis panels, which helped a bit by almost fully removing vibration at computer. The biggest performance jump is when I treated all mechanical electrical connections (except CPU) inside the computer with Furutech Nano Liquid. The Nano liquid treatment was huge, like a drastic (in price) component upgrade.

I upgraded or added each of the above separately waiting a few days to a week or so between changes so I can monitor and be sure if each of the above did anything.

Sep 8, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #37 of 42
Yes, just drop into a pci slot.

It reduces noise, not a huge amount but enough to notice. Have not noticed any negative effects with it.

I think its a worthwhile addition on the pc which is an EMI storm generator.

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #39 of 42
Yes, just drop into a pci slot.

It reduces noise, not a huge amount but enough to notice. Have not noticed any negative effects with it.

I think its a worthwhile addition on the pc which is an EMI storm generator.
Awesome, thanks. I’ll probably pick one up at some point soon. A very small expense compared to much of this hobby.

Mar 15, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #41 of 42
Just bumping this thread to share a more fringe-level experience. I've been using the PCIE (107) filter, and 2 of the SATA filters for the past 1-2 years. My build is mini-itx, and with the only PCIE slot dedicated to a Jcat USB XE, I've always had to use workarounds for the Elfidelity PCIE filter. For the longest time, I'd used a m.2 > PCIE x16 adapter from ADT Link. As far as adapters go--this is the brand to buy. It stomps the random Amazon stuff in terms of build quality/materials and QC.

http://www.adt.link/m2m.html - some, but not all of their products are on Amazon as well.

This week I've been experimenting with reallocating that m.2 slot for a SATA adapter, with the idea being I could disable the mobo SATA in the BIOS. Unfortunately that booted the Elfidelity PCIE filter out of the system, and it's absence was noticed. As a real last stretch, I removed my wifi card (I run with WAN disabled in BIOS), and purchased an A/E key > PCIE x16 adapter in attempt to reintroduce the Elfidelity card into the build. This weird conversion is proving to work well for me.

So I guess tl;dr consider all your available ports, and know there are an insane number of adapter types out there to play with if you don't quite have the flexibility you need for your system. There's nothing to lose experimenting, besides $20-30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back