Eleventh Dream Day is a hot band
Sep 13, 2005 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
Man, it's a shame one of the best Chicago bands of the last 15 years is so unknown. Just did a search and only 3 posts total, and 2 of them were mine. But here's one for you bjjp2 for naming Beet as one of your top 20 in a very nice list you did a while back
beer_yum.gif

Just listening to Beet myself from 1989 and these guys were great, and still are. Very nice mix of Neil Young and Television and Lou Reed and maybe a bit of Sonic Youth. Not sure which one I would call their best. Rick Rizzo learned well from the Neil Young songbook, and Doug McCombs on bass (also of Tortoise) and Janet Beveridge Bean on drums (also of Freakwater). Being late to the party in about 1999, the first one I got was Eighth...and I loved it immediately. And then they released a new one in 2000 called Stalled Parade that easily became one of my favorites of the year. Wow, what a great, raw, sloppy, turmoil filled album! Can't think of any other album in recent memory that so well captures that Neil Young/Crazy Horse/Lou Reed/Velvet Underground sound I like so much.

And some of the older ones were a bit harder to find. But I scored a used copy of Beet, and it was reissued with some of the others in 2001 as well. And one of the reasons for this post, besides having a very good time lately with Beet, was because I also remembered this article on DOA from a couple years ago on the band and looked it up and it's still there and it's some good reading....
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.adequacy.net/reviews/uam/uam-sept03.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Back