Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
Feb 11, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #406 of 1,441
Greg70,

By Tesla 12au7, do you happen to be referring to the Tesla ECC802S by chance?  I do have a pair of them, with gold pins, and I would definitely agree, they are very detailed, up-front, and nicely extended.  I have not heard the Tesla 12au7 however; I'll need to pick up a pair!  The Telefunken and Siemens ECC802S are very highly regarded, but come with a hefty price tag as well, so I have not tried them yet.  I also have a pair of Raytheon 7730s with gold pins that are probably the most accurate/detailed pair I've tried with great separation and air, however sometimes they can sound just a tad thin and maybe a bit tinny at times with certain passages as well.  I'll need to do a direct comparison between the Teslas and the Raytheons to get a better idea though.

thebigcanman,

I haven't kept up to much with the recent prices of the Amperex 12au7s, but I would say that a good price for a nice pair of Bugle Boys would be around $50-$70, while the orange globes are a bit rarer, so they can also go for more.  In recent years, prices have really skyrocketed, I believe my Bugle Boys and Globes were all less than $60 a few years back, so it can be harder, but good deals can still be found if you're patient.  Buying off the bay gives the largest selection and generally the best prices, but as you've stated, you never truly know what you are buying and having them tested before accepting or giving feedback is always good practice.  Unfortunately not all vendors outside the bay are that much more trustworthy, but exchanges can be easier, at least most of time.  Certain vendors will definitely take care of you and provide what they state, but unfortunately this usually comes at a premium.

Generally the power tubes are a bit more important in terms of life and matching, however there is much debate regarding how much effect true matching has, whether it is more important to just have the triodes matched within each, while differences between the pairs can be within 5 to 10% and still be tolerable, or if both the triodes and pairs must be exactly matched or you get degraded sound.  I'm not sure if really anyone knows for sure, but it is best to look for matched pairs or match them yourself if you can.  Unfortunately many have had the cheaper new production power tubes burn out extremely quick as well, even less than 200 hours, while others have put thousands of hours on old stock; quality back in the day of tubes was generally much better than it is now unfortunately.  NOS is always the way to go if you can find them and can afford the extra amount, but even slightly used 12au7s can be worth it if you can get a good deal.  Even going with a reputable vendor for new production can usually be a big plus as they often offer their own burn-in (up to 72 hours or so) and matching after this; many factory direct pairs are often way off and not even closely matched as they state, information that came from not one, but two vendors I spoke with, plus some of the cheaper Chinese sometimes, but rarely, burn up in just a few hours due to defects, so it can really save you hassles in the end.  The world of tubes gets pretty crazy, and quickly.

Jtyoung,

Congrats on the purchase!  You're very right about Victor, truly a great guy and very helpful.  I'm glad to hear you are getting such great results with your JH Audio IEMs; this amplifier is awesome!  Many have also concluded that this amplifier is just as great with low impedance as it is with high.  I believe the spec of the headphone output is from 8 to 1000 ohms due to the design.  Pretty impressive range if you ask me, especially since many tube amplifiers are only good for higher ohm cans, which generally means more than 50, sometimes even 80 ohms.  This just adds the vast versatility of this kit.

As far as the bass, it may be that it just hasn't burned-in enough yet.  I do remember that with less than 30 hours, the bass seemed soft and without much weight.  That all changed for me with about 30 hours of burn-in, also once I put a pair of GE 6L6GCs in as well.  At first I thought it was just the GEs, but going back to the stock EHs, I realized that it must have just needed some time to settle and luck had it that it happened right around my first power tube change.  Also try changing the output mode to see if it helps in the low-end.  It is a bit of a pain as you have to remove the case, but just let it sit unplugged for 10 minutes before doing so.  There are also some very clever case mods out there that allow easier switching, however you still need to wait a bit for the transformer, etc. to drain and you don't want anything that you could trip/switch while the unit is on.

Let us know how things progress and welcome to the club!

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #408 of 1,441

Are you running in triode? From what I can gather, running it in UL will typically result in an increase in bass (though probably at a cost somewhere else)

What is a good price to pay for Amperex 12AU7? 

I haven't followed Amperex prices too closely as of late either. I do have a pair of Orange globes ($45 for the pair) and 3 sets of the coveted 7316's which I paid between $70-$110 for the pairs (they can go upwards up $200 a pair). I really lucked out with the 7316's as two sets were mislabeled in the auction title (very few bidders), and the other set was labeled under a different company name. It took hours upon hours of searching, studying, looking at date codes and the physical qualities to determine I was indeed getting genuine quality Amperex 7316's.

Hard work searching does pay off with great deals to be had, with both the power and pre tubes.

My Elekit TU-8200DX is a workhorse with well over a 1000hrs of daily use, and no problems what so ever. I use it to watch tv and movies. Here is a pic of my set up.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #409 of 1,441
Nicely done on the Amperex 7316s JK!  You're right about doing your homework, being patient, and knowing what to look for.  Doing all of these things often allows you to at least break-even to the possibility of making a bit of a profit if you ever decide to part with them.  These things are a scarce resource and since many are so highly regarded in audio, the prices will probably just continue to climb in the future.  The nice thing about being patient and waiting for good deals on old stock is that if they test well their depreciation can be very low, especially compared to new stock whose value almost immediately diminishes after the initial sale and even without much use.

I dig the setup!  The Elekit looks right at home.  I probably asked before or you may have told me already, but what single drivers are in those cabinets?  The look like the really nice Fostex FE Sigma series, but a bit hard to tell... how do they sound with the Elekit?  Eventually I might go this route in the future...

Edit:  Should have first looked at your signature before asking
rolleyes.gif
... Fostex FE168EZ!  Very cool!  They look very nice...

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #410 of 1,441
  Greg70,

By Tesla 12au7, do you happen to be referring to the Tesla ECC802S by chance?  I do have a pair of them, with gold pins, and I would definitely agree, they are very detailed, up-front, and nicely extended. 

Sorry yes.. I meant the ECC802S. I bought on your original recommendation and they're a very nice tube.

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #411 of 1,441
No worries, with so many different variants I find it hard to keep them straight most of the time!  I'm glad you also enjoy them, I haven't had them in my unit in awhile, but I remember them doing just about everything right, whereas others often have at least a few shortcomings here and there.  I haven't had a chance to try out the Telefunken or Siemens versions yet, but the Teslas are so much cheaper it makes me wonder if they are really worth the extra price.  The Telefunken are very highly regarded though, so maybe a bit more detail and openness, but that's just an assumption.

beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #412 of 1,441
I did some comparisons last night between the Tesla ECC802S and the Raytheon Uniline 7730, along with my JAN smoked glass 807s as the power tubes.  Very close, but I think I actually prefer the 7730s, in my setup and with my custom Beyers.

Both were really close and have excellent detail and extension, however the 7730 was more intimate and sweeter, whereas the Tesla ECC802S was a bit more sterile overall.  The bass seems to be better controlled on the ECC802S, but with a little less impact, and the sound-stage of the 7730 wasn't as nice and actually seemed a bit behind on certain tracks as far as depth; width between the two was both equal.

Overall I think I prefer the more intimate and sweeter sound of the 7730.  At no time during my testing was it tinny or too bright at all, so I think it may have been the power tubes I was using before that lead me to that initial impression.  I would have to say that I highly recommend the Raytheon Uniline 7730, as it is an excellent sounding tube.  The only problem is that they are extremely rare, probably one of the rarest of all 12au7 variants, but if you can find a pair, definitely jump on them.

As a side note, I'm not sure how many have tried the 807 power tube type yet, but I really like these smoked glass militarized RCAs.  My Siemens and Mullards are also quite nice as well.  For the price, even with the extra for the adapters, I think you'd be hard pressed to find much better, especially considering how much NOS EL34s and the KT series go for.  I believe I paid between $15 to $30 a pair for all my 807s.  Very nice and full sound with just the expense of a little detail and a bit of air/sound-stage.  Overall, the 807s are probably my favorite backup or when I just don't want to put more hours onto my more expensive pairs.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #414 of 1,441
Very cool and interesting, thanks for the info and the picture!

Do you happen to have any information or specification sheets for the upgraded LF OPT?  I can't seem to find much info on it.  Do you also know how much they run?

Thanks again Victor!

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #416 of 1,441
I'm interested in these upgraded OPTs, but still can't find much info on them nor the company.

I'm assuming that they'll fit inside the chassis just fine and appear to be the same specifications, but do you know where one can purchase them?

Thanks again!

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #418 of 1,441
Wow, the Lundahl LL1664/80mA looks really cool.  I for one would be very interested in what you are able to determine through your testing.

Keep us all up to date on how it turns out and thanks for sharing!

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #420 of 1,441
That makes sense, from the pictures I was wondering if it was a little too big for the chassis.  I hope they are able to shrink it to a more manageable size in the near future, as I for one would be very interested in trying them out.

I've recently switched from a traditional switching ATX power supply, to a Linear Power Supply to power my USB card, feeding my DAC, as well as my SSD, which holds all my tunes, and I've got to say that clean as well as noise free power (with almost zero ripple in this case) can give great results within the entire spectrum as well as lower the noise floor dramatically.  So, I'm definitely interested in any potential upgrades such as these to the Elekit in the future.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back