Elegia sound sig vs HD6XX sound sig
Aug 26, 2020 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

alterndog

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have currently have a HD6XX and am eyeing the Elegia to compliment the HD6xx. I need a closed back for work and sometimes need one at home. Currently I have the DT770, but they aren't wowing me. I am curious how does the sound signature of the Elegia compares to the HD6XX. Specifically I'm curious how the sound stage and detail compares? (I understand the Elegia is closed back and the HD6XX is open back). Is the Elegia worth it's extra cost?

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 4
Can't comment directly on the comparison, but I just got a pair of the Elegias and they sound nice with good isolation. I bought mine used for $400 and Adorama has sales on them from $400-430 from time to time (unannounced, so you have to keep watching) - seems maybe monthly, not sure though.

Good luck.

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 4
Elegia is neutral-bright, whereas 6xx is neutral-warm. Elegia has generally pleasant tone (fairly close to Harman target) with upper-mid forward presentation. This adds an extra sense of clarity, and very good for piano, violin, and guitar, but at times female vocals can be too aggressive depending on ears. If you apply Headphoneshow.com's EQ, it's really another very pleasant presentation. People talk about metallic timbre, but i didn't sense much once i got used to at the tone of the headphones. Relatedly, they actually requires a bit of burn-in, which alleviates the metallic timbre as well.

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 4
As far as a closed back to complement the HD6xx, I stuck with the Sennheiser line and bought the HD569 for $134. Initially I bought a new Elegia, but it arrived with the left channel not working, and without the balanced cord. I immediately lost my patience and sent it back. Well, I did try it on a few times, and I didn't find the clamping force adequate. So the Elegia never had a chance with me, for better or worse.

I'm really happy with the 569. It sounds sort of like the 600 series, a lot like it, but if that sound was trapped in a closet. It is a closed back. But the midrange is great and there is a sort of openness, as in an open small studio recording space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back