Electrostatic speakers with turntable as source
Nov 15, 2014 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Silentanarchy

New Head-Fier
I know this is headfi and no one ever plans to strap an electrostatic speaker to their head. but I thought I would ask if anyone has ever heard a set of electrostatic speakers with a turntable. because in my head I imagine it is the most natural and live sounding music ever. and I'd imagine a similar experience with some electrostatic headphones. but there's just something about having your house filled with music that sounds like the band is actually there. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 4
How interesting I saw this thread.  I am more of an occasional lurker these days.  About your question.

I love vinyl, but find myself particularly sensitive to the 'pops and ticks'.  I became increasingly anal about setup, bought all the most expensive cleaning products. etc. etc.  Then one day while setting up a particular set of high end speakers at the boutique salon I managed, I noticed how clean, as in, pop/tick free the vinyl playback was.  

Now these were not electrostats, but they had very LIGHT and very QUICK ribbons that extended the entire length of the speaker. About 7 feet.  

Since that day, I have felt that vinyl sounds best to me on systems with extremely fast transient response.  Electrostats included.  The pops and ticks are there, but there is little accentuation.  It seems that light, quick driver materials respond to them so quickly, the event is over before it really registers with the ear.  

Now, this is probably very unscientific and furthermore likely expressed inadequately.  But as for me, I only listen to Vinyl on Electrostats these days.  

Hope this helps

Andrew

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 4
  How interesting I saw this thread.  I am more of an occasional lurker these days.  About your question.

I love vinyl, but find myself particularly sensitive to the 'pops and ticks'.  I became increasingly anal about setup, bought all the most expensive cleaning products. etc. etc.  Then one day while setting up a particular set of high end speakers at the boutique salon I managed, I noticed how clean, as in, pop/tick free the vinyl playback was.  

Now these were not electrostats, but they had very LIGHT and very QUICK ribbons that extended the entire length of the speaker. About 7 feet.  

Since that day, I have felt that vinyl sounds best to me on systems with extremely fast transient response.  Electrostats included.  The pops and ticks are there, but there is little accentuation.  It seems that light, quick driver materials respond to them so quickly, the event is over before it really registers with the ear.  

Now, this is probably very unscientific and furthermore likely expressed inadequately.  But as for me, I only listen to Vinyl on Electrostats these days.  

Hope this helps

Andrew

what kind of speakers were they, if you can remember. I really would like to have a system that has a grand piano with an auto player. then have a sort of cross over so vinyl and electrostatics play the rest of the music. just a fun thought.

I have three turntables attached to my system that outputs to Quad ESL63 'stats, and Stax headphones. Quite happy with it.

I have been wanting to try stax headphones. are they balanced or do they favor the treble more. nice setup though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back