Electrostatic HP w/ RCA or XLR inputs -- which sounds better?
Jun 23, 2008 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
just toying around with my HE60 and KGSS. have been doing some quick comparisons between XLR and RCA inputs and i'm not so sure using the balanced inputs sound any better than using the single ended ones. using XLRs, the volume is certainly louder and the sound a tad more fuller (but also maybe boomy). SE might give an overall cleaner sound. need to do some more comparisons.

thoughts? what do you use -- prefer.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your system? Is it balanced all the way through- from source to headphone amp? If so are all the components really “balanced”?

Mitch

His system is in his sig, Meridian G08 is supposed to be balanced all the way...

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 12
Theoretically, they should sound the same (besides the higher dB output of XLR) but I don't have a spare pair of silver RCAs to test.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 12
i have always been curious why the Woo GES has SE inputs and not balanced, and after doing some brief comparisons between XLR and RCA, maybe it is possible that there is not much to be gained by using XLRs with electrostatics.

maybe. not sure. just a thought.

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have always been curious why the Woo GES has SE inputs and not balanced, and after doing some brief comparisons between XLR and RCA, maybe it is possible that there is not much to be gained by using XLRs with electrostatics.

i think it depends on the design of the amp, and the source.

how many flaws can a balanced output improve comapred to a flawless single ended output? tricky question... when you consider the perils and difficulty of mismatching hte gain in the output stages, its easy to think of scenarios where a single ended output actually works better than a balanced one. all distortions are bad, but some are even worse
wink.gif

on the other hand, with my old 717 stax amp, I preferred using a transformer splitter into the balanced inputs from my old CD player (only had SE outputs) to using the SE input. i never ran the amp from a "proper" balanced source so i cant give that comparison.

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

just toying around with my HE60 and KGSS. have been doing some quick comparisons between XLR and RCA inputs and i'm not so sure using the balanced inputs sound any better than using the single ended ones. using XLRs, the volume is certainly louder and the sound a tad more fuller (but also maybe boomy). SE might give an overall cleaner sound. need to do some more comparisons.

thoughts? what do you use -- prefer.

I use XLR, but would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Also, using XLR dramatically limits volume control accuracy with stepped attenuators in Headamp KGSS due to higher signal voltage.

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #9 of 12
...just a thought ...but sound differences may indeed be in the cables themselves ...are you using identical single ended and balanced cable types??

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

The Woo GES is internally balanced, and you can use an XLR>RCA adapter and feed it balanced source. Got that in a reply email from Jack Wu a while back.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornecherry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...just a thought ...but sound differences may indeed be in the cables themselves ...are you using identical single ended and balanced cable types??

different cables, but i don't think that is the cause for the difference. i guess i'll toy around with it a bit more and then just settle on one or the other. A/B'ing gets to be a bit of an annoyance. after a while you just want to go in one direction so you can get back to listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use XLR, but would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

really. the two (XLR v. RCA) sound pretty different to me. with the XLR, the sound is noticeably louder and fuller. but the problem with the fuller sound is that the sound goes fuller but w/o an increase in soundstage, so there seems to be congestion. i need to listen more, but that seems to be my complaint.

Quote:

Also, using XLR dramatically limits volume control accuracy with stepped attenuators in Headamp KGSS due to higher signal voltage.

i definitely noticed that -- a good point.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm going SE only from now as there is little to none to be gained from balanced operation especially with the Gilmore amps. I don't need any shielding and the newest crop of RCA connectors is a huge step forward which was RCA's biggest weakness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back