Electrostatic Headphones
Mar 20, 2016 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

parkman

Head-Fier
I've always overlooked electrostats as an option for me because I've read the cost of amps and such is ridiculous.
Is there a relatively cheap way to get into them? (Less than $3000)

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 5
3k won't get you end game in stats. More like 3k for the cans, 5k for an amp(bhse kgsshv carbon.. Etc) and then an end game dac.

That doesn't mean you can't get a quality setup and upgrade later though. I'd spend 2k to get the omega7mkii. And then add a stax amp and a dac with the renaming 1k.

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 5
3k won't get you end game in stats. More like 3k for the cans, 5k for an amp(bhse kgsshv carbon.. Etc) and then an end game dac.

That doesn't mean you can't get a quality setup and upgrade later though. I'd spend 2k to get the omega7mkii. And then add a stax amp and a dac with the renaming 1k.

Helpful info! But I should've been clearer in my original post, the question I intended to ask is, is it possible to get into a good electrostatic setup for less than $3000?
Currently I have an LCD-X and and iFi Micro iDSD, and was debating whether I should jump ship from planar to electrostats. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 5
I have been lucky enough to listen to the 009 and 007mkii on end game setups. I was considering the same thing you are and that experience made me reconsider. While they sound really good for me it's a different type of sound and not necessarily better. I guess i find that a bit more weight to the music makes things more real to me. And i like to get new things from time to time and with stats your options are limited. But the way they deliver sound can be mesmerizing, if you can find a way to audition you need to.

Jun 9, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 5
I know I'm waking up a dead thread, however, I'll wade into these waters with a suggestion to begin the journey into Electrostatics with the Koss ESP-950 -- and for much less -- the Koss/Massdrop ESP-95X (identical with the exception of the leather bag and battery pack). The Koss MSRP is $999, while the Massdrop version is $499. Many review have cited the Koss as a fine headphone/energizer combo. I've got several fine dynamic-driver headphones and three great amps (Bottlehead Mainline, Bottlehead Crack/Speedball, Benchmark DAC3 DX) and the Koss is no slouch. There's a lot to like about the Koss, in my opinion: stellar mid- and high-frequency reproduction .... natural as can be. They are a bit bass shy, but what's there is quick and well reproduced. A little custom EQ and -- Wow! -- you're in business. For another $350 you can add a Teddy Pardo linear power supply, which takes things up a few notches. If you really want to go whole hog, you can buy a Stax energizer and an adapter cable. This, I've read, really makes an impact.

Don't get hung up on 1/2-inch faceplates, CNC-machined cases, etc. There's fine tech in the energizer. And, though the headphones don't exhibit Audeze-agricultural build, they are plenty robust, lightweight and comfortable (emphasis on the comfortable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back