Electrostatic Headphones Owners Tips and Tricks
Mar 7, 2023 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Trullon

New Head-Fier
I’m looking for some dos and don’ts for storing, maintaining and using electrostatic headphones.

What are the must dos and what to avoid at all cost?

I know some manufacturers claim the drivers need to charge up before intended performance and some recommend shorting the connector after use.

All tips and tricks and must dos are wellcome!

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 13
I’m looking for some dos and don’ts for storing, maintaining and using electrostatic headphones.

What are the must dos and what to avoid at all cost?

I know some manufacturers claim the drivers need to charge up before intended performance and some recommend shorting the connector after use.

All tips and tricks and must dos are wellcome!
Storage: they look great and cost a lot. The impulse to display is understandable. But they have killer strong magnets, and whatever is installed to protect the drivers does not protect against cooking fumes (inside or out), and very small specks that are magnetized.

I store my planars in an air tight plastic bin that supports cables installed, and have some desiccant packs. in case of left over sweat/moisture.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 13
Storage: they look great and cost a lot. The impulse to display is understandable. But they have killer strong magnets, and whatever is installed to protect the drivers does not protect against cooking fumes (inside or out), and very small specks that are magnetized.

I store my planars in an air tight plastic bin that supports cables installed, and have some desiccant packs. in case of left over sweat/moisture.
Do you have a link for the plastic bin? Or a picture showing the cable solution?

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 13
Do you have a link for the plastic bin? Or a picture showing the cable solution?
I got the bin after measuring my 4 main headphones with cables, and looking it up on line. Simple.

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 13
I have two cats but didn't have any when I last owned electrostats. I've been wanting to get back into them, but I don't know if it's a good idea. I have a Roomba that goes around often, but the amount of hair they shed is spectacular. Lol

Mar 9, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 13

The OP is asking about electrostatic headphones - no magnets.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 13
The OP is asking about electrostatic headphones - no magnets.
More clarity. Estats use mylar, which is in all cases I know coated with some sort of magnetic film or charge. I owned/lived with 8 different estat speakers and 5 Magnepans and 7 of the 13 had or developed fouling from cooking oils and other env factors due the magnetic charge on/of the mylar sheets.

Mar 9, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 13
More clarity. Estats use mylar, which is in all cases I know coated with some sort of magnetic film or charge. I owned/lived with 8 different estat speakers and 5 Magnepans and 7 of the 13 had or developed fouling from cooking oils and other env factors due the magnetic charge on/of the mylar sheets.
It's an electrostatic charge - it's not magnetic. Magnepans are not electrostatic either

Mar 9, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 13
Keep them in a dry room.
Keep them covered (I use stax jackets).
Careful with the stand you use because at least for stax, wear on the headband/pads can impact the sound
Unplug them when not in use (more likely to cause charge issues)
Decharge the cans after use by pressing the prong on your palm (similar to static decharge)
When pulling plug in/out, hold the plug not the cable
Avoid listening with wet hair, can damage the headphones
Avoid listening with carpet/socks, can cause static issues (I do this, but try to de-charge when possible by touching metal)

Most importantly - put money in a GOOD amp. For most estats, the amp is VERY important. Significantly more so than for dynamic or planar.
This rule goes 10x for the sr-007 which has bass distortion on majority of amps.

ENJOY!

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 13
It's an electrostatic charge - it's not magnetic. Magnepans are not electrostatic either

So, to make it clear to the innocent and uninitiated: Planars have strong magnets and mylar, and estats have mylar that is charged and because of that, things like cooking oil and smoke particles can and do foul the mylar. And I have never read or heard about anyone that has solved this problem except for replacement of the mylar which requires shipping them and paying a fee for a replacement.

Mar 10, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 13
So, to make it clear to the innocent and uninitiated: Planars have strong magnets and mylar, and estats have mylar that is charged and because of that, things like cooking oil and smoke particles can and do foul the mylar. And I have never read or heard about anyone that has solved this problem except for replacement of the mylar which requires shipping them and paying a fee for a replacement.
Do drop by the "DIY electrostats" thread in the DIY section :p We've cooked up lots of solutions for this problem.

The main issue is just dust, which will get in once the drivers have been opened up to recoat the mylar.

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #13 of 13
Do drop by the "DIY electrostats" thread in the DIY section :p We've cooked up lots of solutions for this problem.

The main issue is just dust, which will get in once the drivers have been opened up to recoat the mylar.
I visited some years back, and don't recall anything that was verified and easy to do. Glad there has been progress.

In my case it was speakers: MG-1, MG-2 (2), MG-3.3, ML-CLS IIz (2), SL-3, Aerius i that I bought used or hadn't known the dangers. Cooking fumes felled two (the ML's get little gray->black rings on them, the MG's. In one case, the last time, it was because the next door neighbor was a BBQ/Smoking meat fiend and I liked to air out my room a lot, The door was always locked to any indoor issues.

With that knowledge in hand, I haven't run into it with headphones because I don't leave them out, and my listening room is well isolated too.

recoat the mylar? brush it on, spray it on? What about removing the guck? Does the sheet get dismounted? I will take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back