Electrostat plus Dynamic amp?
May 19, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #16 of 29
I know this is an old thread, and the Z10E has been discussed elsewhere, particularly in Voce threads, but because of this thread, I looked at both the Z10E and the Solaris. I ended up ordering the Z10E/Voce bundle [the combo price is exceptionally good, even though I wasn't sold on the Voce just yet]. I love the look and "attitude" of the Solaris, but I like the LTA-Berning design philosophy and the ability to order direct from a USA-made business.
Did you ever get them? Did you like the combination? I'm thinking about the exact same thing. The main "problem" is that I love my MicroZOTL 2 headphone amp plus HE1000 headphones so much, not itching to upgrade. But still intrigued by the possibilities......

May 20, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #17 of 29
Did you ever get them? Did you like the combination? I'm thinking about the exact same thing. The main "problem" is that I love my MicroZOTL 2 headphone amp plus HE1000 headphones so much, not itching to upgrade. But still intrigued by the possibilities......
I did. The Z10E is a very nice amp. I’ve got a review partially written up. It really does give you the best of three worlds: electrostat amp, high/low power dynamic/planar amp, and speaker outputs. I think the amp sounds better on the Voce electrostats than the Stax 007/009/009S. It sounds superb with the MySphere 3.2, and very good with the Susvara. I ran the Susvara out of both the speaker terminals (the LTA folks made me a nice adapter free of extra charge) and the front ¼-inch jack set on high. I preferred the speaker terminal adapter, though LTA advises it was the same output. Shrug. I think the Z10E is better on the Susvara than my HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, and I love that amp. I think it’s probably a combination of the ZOTL circuitry, the tube airiness, and the bottom end that seems to have more authority. I had always wanted to try a ZOTL amp. Glad I finally did. Dead quiet, Excellent micro and macro detail, without being over-analytical. Not warm or gooey like some tubes, but instead organic and tactile.

If I could only have one amp, but still have a few headphones, including electrostats, this would probably be it. It lacks some of the flexibility I like, such as balanced outputs, preamp and/or loop, but it’s an excellent amp. Built like a tank. A bargain with the Voce bundle.About the only thing it can’t do convincingly is drive the RAAL | Requisite SR1a ribbon monitors, but then it wasn’t intended to.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #18 of 29
I did. The Z10E is a very nice amp. I’ve got a review partially written up. It really does give you the best of three worlds: electrostat amp, high/low power dynamic/planar amp, and speaker outputs. I think the amp sounds better on the Voce electrostats than the Stax 007/009/009S. It sounds superb with the MySphere 3.2, and very good with the Susvara. I ran the Susvara out of both the speaker terminals (the LTA folks made me a nice adapter free of extra charge) and the front ¼-inch jack set on high. I preferred the speaker terminal adapter, though LTA advises it was the same output. Shrug. I think the Z10E is better on the Susvara than my HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, and I love that amp. I think it’s probably a combination of the ZOTL circuitry, the tube airiness, and the bottom end that seems to have more authority. I had always wanted to try a ZOTL amp. Glad I finally did. Dead quiet, Excellent micro and macro detail, without being over-analytical. Not warm or gooey like some tubes, but instead organic and tactile.

If I could only have one amp, but still have a few headphones, including electrostats, this would probably be it. It lacks some of the flexibility I like, such as balanced outputs, preamp and/or loop, but it’s an excellent amp. Built like a tank. A bargain with the Voce bundle.
Thank you so much! That's a superbly written and extremely helpful answer.

May 20, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #20 of 29
Huh, could you expand on this point? TIA
Sure. I don't think the Voce has quite the same air, speed, and detail as the Stax. It offers a greater sense of bass, and a warmer atmosphere. The Z10E seems voiced to take advantage of this. Accordingly, the Stax sound thinner on the Z10E than they do on my reference Mjölnir Carbon CC and custom T2. Thinner, in this case, not being better, as it may be in other aspects of life. :wink:

May 20, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #21 of 29
Huh, could you expand on this point? TIA
What does TIA mean? I googled it and got "transient ischemic attack," which doesn't seem likely to be what you intended.

May 20, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #22 of 29
What does TIA mean? I googled it and got "transient ischemic attack," which doesn't seem likely to be what you intended.
"Thanks In Advance" It's listed here, here, and probably lots of other places. Searching for this sort of thing works better when you make the search acronym-specific, e.g., "Internet Acronym TIA".

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #23 of 29
Excellent information, IMHO. AAMOF FWIW YMMD. TYVM! Now, EOD & BTT :relaxed:
(SCNR)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #26 of 29

If I could only have one amp, but still have a few headphones, including electrostats, this would probably be it. It lacks some of the flexibility I like, such as balanced outputs, preamp and/or loop, but it’s an excellent amp. Built like a tank. A bargain with the Voce bundle.About the only thing it can’t do convincingly is drive the RAAL | Requisite SR1a ribbon monitors, but then it wasn’t intended to//c

Sep 29, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #27 of 29
Couldn’t agree more…….I just pre ordered the X9000 Stax. I just bought my first Dan Clark headphone: Expanse and love its tonality. Why did you choose the Voce? I have a Z10e being built as we speak. Did you try Stax and how does it compare to Voce?

Oct 19, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #29 of 29
Sure. I don't think the Voce has quite the same air, speed, and detail as the Stax. It offers a greater sense of bass, and a warmer atmosphere. The Z10E seems voiced to take advantage of this. Accordingly, the Stax sound thinner on the Z10E than they do on my reference Mjölnir Carbon CC and custom T2. Thinner, in this case, not being better, as it may be in other aspects of life. :wink:
I find the the two top Stax cans 007 and 009 to be overly detailed - yes there is a sibilance at a low level. So you get the full sssh sound but the ahhh sound is not quite right. The Voce given my limited experience with estat cans over the past 6 years (6 cans, 2 potent amps and two not quite enough). The Voce seems to editorialize the least. But I've heard from others that there are better. Maybe, not so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back