Electronica with "Gitar"
Mar 13, 2003 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey, I've been exploring electronica courtesy Minya's expertise and I really dig Boards of Canada...but there's still something missing for me.

I was a big fan of Tangerine Dream and one thing that I always looked forward to in a song was the point when Edgar Froese would come out with one his spacey solos.

Are their any electronica bands that have a guitarist onboard?

Mar 13, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 9
Dusty Chalk recommended Labradford to the board some time ago - I can't recall the name of the album, nor do I know whether all their stuff has guitar (but I suspect it does).

You may also want to look into Aarktica - I have heard a small sample from their album "No Solace in Sleep" and it sounded fantastic, really amazing guitar ambient/electronic. I downloaded the sample from the Manifold Records website.

I know there are more, but I can't think of them right now.

biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 9
michael brook: cobalt blue / live at the aquarium (double cd)
more ambient, but plenty of "geetar".

Mar 14, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma
Dusty Chalk recommended Labradford to the board some time ago - I can't recall the name of the album, nor do I know whether all their stuff has guitar (but I suspect it does).

That would fixed::context, but it's not a lead "Edgar Froese" guitar the way was originally asked. It's more of a twangy western guitar with lots of nice atmosphere.

OTOH, get the first Moodswings album, Psychedelicatessan (?sp), it's got a blistering solo by none other than Jeff Beck on one of the tracks that is alone worth the price of entry.

EDIT: You should also like all the Private Music-era Andy Summers albums.

Can't think of anything else right now, but will post again when I do.

Mar 14, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks, you guys ALWAYS come through!
biggrin.gif

As my real name is Bradford, I will be checking out Labradford. Dig it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 9
chadbang,

Did you pick up the Plaid album I recommended, Double Figure? The opening track on that album begins with an amazing haunting guitar melody. And, um, that's about the only guitar on the album, but I think Plaid is kind of what you're looking for regardless.
smily_headphones1.gif

- Chris

Mar 15, 2003 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 9
Your description made me think of Xploding Plastix. It's electronica, and it has "gitar" -- but other than that I can't really describe it.

Allmusic.com tags it as Jazz-House, Downtempo, Acid Jazz with Ethereal, Irreverent, Playful, Laid-Back/Mellow, Cerebral, Nocturnal tones. Go figure
smily_headphones1.gif

Below is a link to find out more about them. A particular track you could try is "Treat me mean I need the reputation." The music is much, much more playful than Boards of Canada and is completely different.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=Bn1rz287u05oa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back