Electronic Rock
Jan 22, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #31 of 41
I am really, really disappointed in you kids.

Kraftwerk.

Listen to 'Trans Europe Express' and be amazed. They started it all.

And if you can ever get your hands/ears on a copy of 'Living on Video' by Trans X....

Jan 22, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read the wikipedia article I posted and you will see it states right there that they are similar. First time I heard Muse I automatically thought of Radiohead. The similarities were very obvious to me. I fail to see how someone can like Radiohead but not Muse.

You fail to see how someone can like Radiohead but not Muse?
That is an incredibly subjective statement.

Furthermore, since when is Wikipedia the authority on music?

As far as im concerned, Muse sounds NOTHING like Radiohead.
Different lyrical content, different sounds, drastically different tempos and time signatures and the list goes on.
Yes, they both dabble in the alt/art rock vein but "failing to see how someone doesnt see the similarities" is a bit of a dramatic statement.

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really, really disappointed in you kids.

Kraftwerk.

Listen to 'Trans Europe Express' and be amazed. They started it all.

And if you can ever get your hands/ears on a copy of 'Living on Video' by Trans X....

He asked for rock music that incorporates electronic synthesizers etc. Kraftwerk is pure electronic. Been listening to them since 1976.

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tortoise - I have TNT, but its not really what I'm looking for.

Electric President - Good. Added to my wishlist.
The Notwist - Also good.
Mum - Also good. Sounds a lot like Sigur Ros.
Ratatat - Very good!
Air - On the fence.

I guess I'm looking for rock with a hint of electronic, not electronic with a hint of rock.

Glad you liked those picks! Since you gave the thumbs up to Electric President, The Notwist, and Mum, I think you'd do well to check out the other artists on the Morr Music label. Seabear, Borko, Lali Puna, Ms. John Soda, Radical Face, and Benni Hemm Hemm are a few that are similar in style.

Also in the vein of Ratatat is The Postal Service (edit: sorry, I just saw you already got some of their stuff). While Ratatat has a very unique sound to them, they are all instrumental and The Postal Service has lyrics. Another band to try out is MGMT. And LCD Soundsystem(edit: these guys too).

If you'd like to branch out into Japanese music a bit, there are quite a few artists in the electronica/picopop scene that are emerging. Takako Minekawa, Caroline, Kahimi Karie to name a few.

As for Tortoise, "Standards" is a very different album from TNT and their older work. "Standards" took a much more electronic feel to it which some fans of their older work hated. I think it's one of their best albums though, and "It's All Around You" takes even a futher step in this direction.

With respect to Boards of Canada -- they are more strictly electronica. Their best starter album, in my opinion, is "Music Has the Right to Children".

I don't know if you'd be interested in "chiptunes" or not, but a good entryway to that genre would be Beck's E-Pro Gameboy Variations (Hell Yes EP). If you like that stuff, there's a whole bunch of other recommendations I've got for ya!

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #39 of 41
Another great, more recent group:

Euphoria

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #40 of 41
nthing Muse and also agreeing that they do not sound like Radiohead. At all. =|

It's actually more like electronica-flavored black metal, but you might like Samael. They are awesome.

Check out Reign of Light and Solar Soul.

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #41 of 41
Muse and Radioheads are two different characters.

On another note

Boom Boom Satellites;
Most refreshing electronic rock band I've heard in ages. And their live performances are better than the actual recording!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back