ELECTROHEADS! AKG K26P for EDM Electronic music?? (house, psy, trance, etc...)
Nov 14, 2006 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

EsthetiX

1000+ Head-Fier
PLEASE READ THIS B4 REPLYING. Thannks

I'm a mixing and mastering engineer. I tend to be extremely picky when it comes to sound. I have read the k26p's paint an innacurate picture of the sound and greatly emphasize bass. Now they don't have to be too neutral but accuracy is a plus. I do listen to music that relys very heavily on bass (lots of loud compressed punchy bass) and I am thinking the k26p's could either be great for me or terrible. I don't know as I have not yet heard them.

BTW... I am not looking for high end (already have those). This will be for travel and excersise. Looking for best quality possible while still having compact/portability.

Already ordered px100's for 25 bucks. I'm willing to spend 100 tops and looking for a different sound signature (like to have my options open). I understand the Grado SR60's are great but they look too rediculous for me to go running with. lol

Let me clarify something I don't necessarily need cans that color in lots of bass... I just need ones that are capable of playing my bass heavy music and still sounding good/being able to handle it.

Thanks for any help.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 17
From the AKG camp there's lots of hate for AKG K26P bloat in bass - fart cannons they way they described them.

AKG K81DJ is the one you should be getting and there's tons of love for this one. Priced between $55 to $70 you could not go wrong with this baby. The last time I listened to another Head-Fier K81DJ, I was mesmerized by the balance of good bass presentation and sweet highs.

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN
From the AKG camp there's lots of hate for AKG K26P bloat in bass - fart cannons they way they described them.

AKG K81DJ is the one you should be getting and there's tons of love for this one. Priced between $55 to $70 you could not go wrong with this baby. The last time I listened to another Head-Fier K81DJ, I was mesmerized by the balance of good bass presentation and sweet highs.

Yes, I thought these looked great too but I saw in another thread that there are many people complaining that they go out on one side!!!!!!!!!
frown.gif

Also, they might be a little large?? Well, I can't really tell actually... I haven't been able to find a picture with someone wearing them.

Nov 14, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 17
Well this headphone is usually only recommended for budding DJs who need bass for a rave.....but if you're looking for something portable and bass heavy, how about the Sony MDR-V700DJ?

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose
Well this headphone is usually only recommended for budding DJs who need bass for a rave.....but if you're looking for something portable and bass heavy, how about the Sony MDR-V700DJ?

I already have these.

I need something I can go running with. I dont like the v700s either they always break.

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 17
It's hard to go wrong with the Koss KSC-75. I'm not sure how well it will stick to your ear while running, but probably well enough. It will definitely handle the bass, and will give you fairly decent highs too, which is a must for electronica IMO.

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555
Get K81DJ! K26p sucks IMVHO, rolled off highs and bloated midbass with no real kick.

I'd like too avoid the mechanical problems I've been hearing about. And Too big for running. Someone already suggested this.

Isnt there anything small and good!!?? Im looking into the koss suggestion.

Thanks guys.

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 17
no to akg k26p. in fact, i've been trying to get rid of a pair for ages so if you want to talk about a great deal just to try them send a pm my way. i haven't heard the k81dj but from what i've read they sound like what you're looking for.

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #13 of 17
The PX-100 is no good for jogging... there is way too much wind noise.

I'd suggest the Super.fi 5 EB for jog-able bassy accurate sound. How come no one has mentioned IEMs? Am I missing something?

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 17
AKG K81 is fit for travel since it comes with a leather carry case and is foldable. Highly recommended for travel but not exercising. You'll probably have room left for a cheapo KSC75 which might be great for exercising.

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy
The PX-100 is no good for jogging... there is way too much wind noise.

I'd suggest the Super.fi 5 EB for jog-able bassy accurate sound. How come no one has mentioned IEMs? Am I missing something?

I was going to mention Senn CX300, since it's a bit cheap; but most IEM's will have the issue of cable microphonics esp if you jog/work out. Also I don't think you want the isolation of an IEM when you go running outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back