Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 Gold tubes
May 7, 2016 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Shasari

New Head-Fier
Anyone know how long it it takes for a tube to break-in enough to stop humming? I've been conditioning a brand NIB (not NOS) 6SN7 Elecctro-Harmonix tube for just about 24 hours and there's not been any really noticeable decrease in the hum - most prevalent in the L channel. I know I need to be patient and all, and I'm trying to be. I've seen estimates here of 48 hours to other places saying 100+ hours.

Also, is there any harm to allow it to break in while listening to music (provided I can put up with the hum) or let the amp handle music while I use my travel hybrid amp? My main amp now is a Darkvoice 336SE - and it's definitely the audio tube that's the hummer. Putting in the stock tube that came with it changed the hum, so I'm just trying to be patient and allow this tube to break in. Just want to get a sense of how long I can expect to wait.

Any advice, feedback, your own stories etc would be greatly appreciated.

~Dave

May 7, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 4
I know that this may not be helpful to you at this point but I want to let you know that you can get wonderful NOS 6SN7 rectifier tubes for not that much money that will kill those Russian tubes and will definitely NOT hum because they've been bench tested first. Talk to Andy at Vintage Tube Services. He's a straight shooter and will sell you a vintage RCA 6SN7 for around 50 bucks. I put one in the single ended 300B-based amp I use for my home stereo rig and it was an incredible upgrade over the EH tube that it came with. 
Enjoy!

May 7, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give Andy a call this week. I looked through the stock list, and see different models - any suggestion for like a 6SN7 GTB, or the GT etc? I'm a bit new to the tube audio world, as the Darkvoice 336SE is my first full tube amp. The one I have is labeled just 6SN7EH (for the manufacturer Electro-Harmonix I assume).

I'll have to ask him about the microphonics and which tube would be the best fit for my amp.

Thanks again!

~Dave

May 8, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give Andy a call this week. I looked through the stock list, and see different models - any suggestion for like a 6SN7 GTB, or the GT etc? I'm a bit new to the tube audio world, as the Darkvoice 336SE is my first full tube amp. The one I have is labeled just 6SN7EH (for the manufacturer Electro-Harmonix I assume).

I'll have to ask him about the microphonics and which tube would be the best fit for my amp.

Thanks again!

~Dave

Just ask Andy. I totally trust him. There's very little to know about vacuum tubes that Andy doesn't know. He tests every tube he sells and won't steer you wrong. I've always been happy with what I've ordered from him. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back