Electrician Told Me Using 20Amp Breaker with 10 Guage is Bad/Unsafe, Thoughts?
May 9, 2022 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

F208Frank

Headphoneus Supremus
For us with only headphone systems, would you say if we are looking to get a dedicated line to our outlet, that 15amp breakers are more than enough?

Because when I asked for a 20amp breaker, and asking for 10 guage wire to be used, the technician felt it was a bad idea. His thoughts were that 10 guage are only usually used for 30amp breakers.

Anyone out there with experience regarding dedicated AC lines can chime in?

Thank you!

May 10, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 22
10AWG cable can carry 30 amps. If you use smaller breaker (20amp, 15, 10 - whatever) the line will only be safer, as the breaker will break before than the cable get hot.

If you use bigger breaker (50amps, 60 e t.c.) the line will became potentially unsafe because bigger breaker will break the circuit later, when cable might be on fire already.

Main rule is that your breaker should not pass current higher than you cable can carry.

May 10, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 22
10AWG cable can carry 30 amps. If you use smaller breaker (20amp, 15, 10 - whatever) the line will only be safer, as the breaker will break before than the cable get hot.

If you use bigger breaker (50amps, 60 e t.c.) the line will became potentially unsafe because bigger breaker will break the circuit later, when cable might be on fire already.

Main rule is that your breaker should not pass current higher than you cable can carry.
In your opinion for headphone systems, would 15 amp breakers be more than sufficient using 15 amp rated guage wire? I see a lot of people default and go to 20 amp breakers but I have suspicion that there is no need.

May 10, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 22
I ran two 10gg Romex lines, one for analog and one for digital and had 20 amp breakers. I then switched to 30 amp and it sounded better. I dont know why, but it did.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 22
In your opinion for headphone systems, would 15 amp breakers be more than sufficient using 15 amp rated guage wire? I see a lot of people default and go to 20 amp breakers but I have suspicion that there is no need.
15 amp should be more than enough, but usually thicker line leads to better sound. Use 10awg if you can.

May 11, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 22
It is enough, but it sill will sound better going to 20 amp. As I mentioned, 30 amp sounded even better, and that wasn’t needed.

May 11, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 22

The only thing I'd add to this is to check the insulation of your wiring. 10AWG wire is almost certainly fine but the type of insulation affects how hot, and subsequently, how much current a wire can take.

May 11, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 22
Any wire made for in wall wiring all has to pass the electrical safety standard established for that guage. 10gg is rated up to 30 amp. 12gg rated up to 20 amp. Talking about insulation with this application is BS.

May 11, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #9 of 22
Any wire made for in wall wiring all has to pass the electrical safety standard established for that guage. 10gg is rated up to 30 amp. 12gg rated up to 20 amp. Talking about insulation with this application is BS.
At least respond to me so that I can tell you that your assumptions, about the wire being run, are not stated. You show me your degree and PE license and I'll show you mine.

May 11, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #11 of 22
I don’t need a degree. I know that if I buy Romex cable in a store, or an electrician runs Romex cable in my walls that are 12 guage or 10 gauge, they are rated for 20 amp and 30 amp respectively. That’s the whole point of safety commissions. You can jerk yourself off yourself anyway you want, but this is fact.

May 11, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #13 of 22
May 11, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 22
So my electrician came and told me that if I were to use a 20 amp breaker, I should not be using 10 guage wire, and that if I did, he would need to split at the recepticle to tail end back to 12 guage wire. This does not sound right as I hear and see many people using 20 amp breakers with 10 guage wiring in the audio world.

The quote was also kind of high, 1100 to run dedicated line from basement to 2nd floor in New York.

Any advice regarding the price quote if it is fair and also the whole "do not use 10 guage wire with 20 amp breakers"?

May 11, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 22
So my electrician came and told me that if I were to use a 20 amp breaker, I should not be using 10 guage wire, and that if I did, he would need to split at the recepticle to tail end back to 12 guage wire. This does not sound right as I hear and see many people using 20 amp breakers with 10 guage wiring in the audio world.

The quote was also kind of high, 1100 to run dedicated line from basement to 2nd floor in New York.

Any advice regarding the price quote if it is fair and also the whole "do not use 10 guage wire with 20 amp breakers"?
Ah you're in NY. That gives us a lot more info (wasn't sure of your location and what local codes apply).

This is not accurate. I design #10 AWG in NYC all the time for receptacles (due to voltage drop in longer feeds).
Look up the receptacle specs. You can see here for the Leviton 5891 that you can terminate 14AWG up to 10AWG.

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/5891
(Go to the technical information section)

As far as cost, construction in NYC is ridiculous. I talk to large contractors all the time and they cannot even find workers (and material costs are also through the roof).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back