Electrical polarity question
Mar 3, 2007 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dcfis

100+ Head-Fier
OK this may seem weird but i happened upon it. i have a brickwall power supply to a Mu Fi x10v3 tube buffer to a stax 3030 system. I take this between the office and home at times. When I set it up back home it was sounding unusually good, effortless, huge stage and slightly less focused but overall more pleasant. Then the next week reset up the system back at the office but the sound wasnt like at home it was more how i was used to. To make a long story short and remembering a bit from college physics my curiosity got the better of me. The buffers wall wart isnt "keyed" and I touched a resistor between the prongs to discharge the caps and plugged it in backwards. Well there is that new sound Ive been digging. So is this harmful in any way? Am I mucking things up by reversing musical phase or something? Im enjoying the more etheral sound

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 6
If the wall-wart isn't keyed (as our Schuko & Euro plugs over here generally aren't - hence "ausphasen" (= "phasing out", literally translated) is a fairly common tuning trick for audiophiles over here...), I don't see any risk. There also won't be any phase change to the music signal, as the transformed ac will pass a rectifier anyway, so the polarity of the actual dc supply voltage won't change either way.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 6
lini, would you mind explaining what this "phasing out" is? This is very interesting and I've never heard of it before.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 6
Mar 3, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 6
HM: Good find!

rb67: If you ant it a bit more verbose and in English, please refer to HM's link - the suggested method is essentially the same.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back