Electrical Engineering in the audio business?
Jan 26, 2007 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

makasin

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently a Computer Science major at college but I am considering switching over to the hardware side, Electrical Engineering. My question is, are there any opportunities for electrical engineers in the audio business? Do I have to get a audio-oriented degree in order to design amps/electronics for recording use? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 27, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 8
Electrical Engineers do some work with audio but generally they deal with large scale like transformers, power stations, ect. You might want to consider specializing in electronics which is usually called Electronic Engineering.

Jan 27, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 8
Be careful, some aspects of the audio market can be frustrating to electrical engineers
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 8
Electrical Engineering in the U.S. is a fairly broad field, but there are specialties that will focus more on audio. If in doubt talk to the professors. Main areas to look for

Analog Design: Things such as amplifiers, pre-amps, buffers etc. How to design the circuit, how to lay it out, how things are connected, how to deal with noise...etc.

DSP: Digital Signal Processing. How to get rid of noise, how to adjust the sound etc.

Power: Three phase power and such. How to transfer power from station to station, large scale motors, anything requiring large amounts of power.

Transmission lines: How signals are transferred and propagated.

If possible check to see if your professors have any contacts in the audio field.

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 8
I am sort of curious as to the curriculum a degree covers? I took an intensive EE module as part of a aeronautical engineering diploma that lasted a semester, but apparently it was what students enrolled in the EE diploma would do over a year or two as several modules. I have to say though, it seemed pretty damn extensive in terms of material. AC and three-phase theory, operational amplifiers, diodes and transistors, electrostatics..

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sort of curious as to the curriculum a degree covers? I took an intensive EE module as part of a aeronautical engineering diploma that lasted a semester, but apparently it was what students enrolled in the EE diploma would do over a year or two as several modules. I have to say though, it seemed pretty damn extensive in terms of material. AC and three-phase theory, operational amplifiers, diodes and transistors, electrostatics..

BEng Audio Engineering structure:
http://www.essex.ac.uk/ese/ug/h603.htm

If you need some good advise locally , I recommend Mr Chua Kuang Chua (contact at : http://soe.np.edu.sg/soe/ece/dsp/sta...mic_staff.htm). He did a MSc in Audio Engineering ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back