electric shaver decision
Oct 17, 2004 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

enzoferrari650

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking at the Norelco electric shavers, and my question is; is there a difference in performance between maybe the 80 dollar lineup and the 130 dollar kind? or are they about the same except for the fancy useless features. I would like a recommendation on which model is good. Thanks

Oct 17, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm looking at 120 dollars for the top of the line 8894XL model. Is it worth it. The thing looks incredible.

Oct 17, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 15
I good electic shaver will give you close shaves for years and years with just a little maintenance and an occasional cutter change. I say go for the finest you can afford.

On a side note, I use Remington Face Saver for my pre-shave and I highly recommend it for a comfortable shave. It makes the shaver glide over your face. Here is a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=hpc&n=507846

MJ

Oct 17, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 15
There are two general types of electric razors: foil razors, such as the braun, panasonic and remington and rotary razors -- mostly norelco (in the USA) but also some remington. Men generally get better results from one or the other, but I know of no way of determining which will suit each man. Some prefer the rotary, others the foil. I get a better shave from the braun syncro and the panasonic higher end razors, but others swear by the norelco spectra. Either way, it will take about a month for your beard to get used to it so don't make up your mind too quickly. Some brands, I forget which, allow a 30 day return policy. This is a good thing. Also, do a google search for "Ask Mr. Steel Beard" (I kid you not) for some terrific information. Good luck

Oct 17, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 15
I'm gonna buy a Mach3 Power and then possibly still the Norelco 8894xl. I have heard too many stories where people get cut trying to rush. So, I'm gonna use the electric one for normal use and then when I have time now and then, I'll use the mach3. How does that sound?

Oct 17, 2004 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 15
I'd just get a Mach3 and save my money for the electric razor until later. When you're a young teenager, particularly if you're Asian, your facial hair doesn't grow enough in a day to make an electric shaver truly effective at removing it. (With electric shavers, the hair has to get pressed through holes in the metal foil shield which guards the rotating blades. If your facial hair isn't long enough in the morning, it doesn't effectively reach the blades.) You'll risk ending up with the (stereotypical) bad teenage mustache semi-shadow. Just learn to shave with a quality safety razor like the Mach3 and you'll look better on a reliable basis. You don't even need to go with something with 3 blades; a simpler safety razor is fine, but it's not worth it to cheap out with drug store disposable razors, because it's too easy to end up cutting yourself.

Oct 17, 2004 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 15
I alternate daily between a Remington R 9200 (a rotary oddly enough) and a regular Gillette Sensor Excel. I take anti-coagulants and I guess I only like to tempt the blood fates 50% of the time.
biggrin.gif

My last electric was a top of the line Remington foil and I didn't like it. It seemed to pull out the hairs rather than cut them. The rotary is much more comfortable for me. The non-electric gives me the best shave though. YMMV.

Oct 17, 2004 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 15
Too late, I ordered both. Mostly cause my mom offered to pay for 100 dollars of whatever I got and if it went over I'd pay the rest, So i basically only paid about 30 dollars. So....... I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Oct 18, 2004 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 15
My dad gave me an extra Shick Disposable 2 blade that he had this morning and I tried it out. Wasnt too bad. No razor burn or anything using only cold water. Anyone know how good Shick disposable 2 blades are and how close they shave? Is this considered a close shave or a not so close one. Would the 8894xl do a similar job? and would the mach 3 power do a better job?

Oct 18, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 15
Doesn't shaving with a razorblade cause hair to grow thicker and faster?

I use an electric razor, and my old Braun is dying.

I think I will upgrade to the latest and greatest Braun.
I never did like rotary type shavers. I guess my face isn't shaped right for those.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back