Electric Guitar Recommendations
Feb 12, 2006 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations for an electric guitar and amp. I have been playing an acoustic for about one year now (Larrivee' OM-3R), and I think that it time for an electric. I play mostly blues music and wish to spend >$900 for both an amp and guitar. So far I have looked into a Godin Freeway Classic. Any opinions on that guitar? What about an amp? Thanks.

Feb 12, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 23
Feb 12, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 23
You have a beautiful acoustic guitar - and the Godin you chose is also a great looking axe. For an amp/axe electric combo I have a feeling you want to stay out of the typical Fender/Gibson realm and have something a bit off the beaten path, with a nice flame to it, with a warm "woman's voice" tone, right? I'll look around
tongue.gif

Here we go!

Lookit that flame!
And if you don't like the Soapbar tone (I do) you can always get a lush humbucker in there. For an amp, I'd say something like a Fender Blues Jr. tube amp would do just fine.

All of that puts you under you $900 limit, and is guaranteed to give you an honest tone.

Feb 12, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 23
Though the PRS is absolutely beautiful, I would like something that was made in the US or Canada (no offense anyone). Are the Fenders still made in the US?

Feb 12, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 23
Feb 12, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 23
Larrivee are fantastic acoustic guitars, I have a Parlor and the tone as well as playability is fantastic. Have you looked into Heritage guitars? For an amp an old Mesa Boogie would be great for blues. Good luck.

Feb 12, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 23
Feb 13, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 23
if it was me i'd be looking for a used jackson flying v with a floyd rose and used small marshal combo. pawn shop guitars have soul pre installed.
icon10.gif

JacksonKV2Big.jpg

you know you want it.

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 23
i have to recommend a strat and fender amp for playin the blues. Yes they make strats just about everywhere, MIM-made in mexico, MIJ-made in japan, MIA-made in america, and some rare (not squires) made in korea. The made in korea ones are the real bang for buck guitars. They are grouped under special edition in fender's catalogue and have ash bodies. I bought my korean ash strat for 600 new, in beautiful natural finish, synchronized tremelo, birdes eye maple neck and fretboard, seymore duncan pickups, and abalone inlays. Best deal out there for a strat IMO, and korean quality is top notch, comparable to american. Make no mistake, like the Japanese strats these korean strats give no ground in quality, and a similar strat made in america would cost over $1k.

here's my pride n joy
129252750.jpg

Feb 13, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 23
I totally agree with the Blues Jr. Great warm bluesy sound. A used blues deville or deluxe might fit your budget too, if you need a little more volume... they sound a little nicer too imo.

I think a strat might be more fitting for blues than a tele.

Feb 13, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #13 of 23
I like my Gibson Les Paul Studio just fine
basshead.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hubcaps
I totally agree with the Blues Jr. Great warm bluesy sound. A used blues deville or deluxe might fit your budget too, if you need a little more volume... they sound a little nicer too imo.

I think a strat might be more fitting for blues than a tele.

I think you might have more luck looking beyond Fender if you want a larger tube amp. The hot rod series overdrive channels never impressed me. Try checking out Mesa-Boogie, Vox or tube boutique amps if you need some 'big guns'. Hiwatt, Orange, Supro and Zinky I think are all worthy of some attention. I just picked up a 50w Zinky Blue Velvet and could not be happier. It's the first amp that has really made me hear the difference between cords and pedal bypasses and such (I spent a long time with acoustics as well).

Of course, you could always just light up a Marshall stack provided you live alone (or plan on doing so soon).

edit: nice strat, pne

Feb 13, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 23
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 $495 from http://www.davesguitar.com/ Really a great deal, this amp could last a long time before you felt the need to upgrade again.

Fender Standard Tele for about $400 from Musician's Friend

Or you can go after a Strat, Gretsch guitars are also quite fun to play. Hamers, etc. Also, on Fenders you don't necesarily have to get the USA made ones, the Mexican Fenders are very nice as well, they're just more of the work horse variety than their upscale American made brothers. But for amp, that's a great buy, I've dealt with Dave's Guitars in the past, very very easy to deal with, good people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back