Electric Engineering textbook
Oct 6, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 18
anything but this.

edit: even though i guess this is more for cs people. but still...

Oct 6, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 18
AoE is really, really good. Don't think of it as a college textbook, even though the authors are profs. It's way more accessible than your average textbook. If you really want all the hairy math that a proper EE textbook will have, this isn't the book for you. If you want to learn electronics, run to your nearest bookstore and get a copy. Don't be turned off by the publication date. We'd all love to have a 3rd edition, but meanwhile there's nothing better in its class.

Oct 6, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent
AoE is really, really good. Don't think of it as a college textbook, even though the authors are profs. It's way more accessible than your average textbook. If you really want all the hairy math that a proper EE textbook will have, this isn't the book for you. If you want to learn electronics, run to your nearest bookstore and get a copy. Don't be turned off by the publication date. We'd all love to have a 3rd edition, but meanwhile there's nothing better in its class.

This is a wonderful book, but it is not easy. Depending on your background, you may prefer to begin with something like Scherz, "Practical Electronics for Inventors", and move to AoE later.

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 18
I like the Scherz book, too. The thing is, you'll outgrow the Scherz book sooner than AoE.

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent
I like the Scherz book, too. The thing is, you'll outgrow the Scherz book sooner than AoE.

No doubt about that. Scherz's book is at a lower level than AoE, if you can dive right in to AoE, you probably don't need Scherz.

Oct 6, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Jupiter
I've started reading Guide to Understanding Electricity and Electronics (2nd edt). For me this was a better beginner's book than AoE. It's even more practical than AoE and cheaper.

I've got the same, liking it so far. I think I've got an earlier edition though, bought it used from a library, I'm not sure how much it's been updated but so far the information seems pretty current (the way the electron moves hasn't changed much in 15 years
wink.gif
)

Oct 6, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #11 of 18
I found art of electronics to be a little intense as a book to get started with. If you are like me and have no formal electronics education I would suggest starting with something a little simpler. However, my electrical engineering friend agreed that this book is really good as a reference.

Oct 6, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 18
All I know I'm learning from burnt fingers and AoE. Get the
lab/exercise guide, too. 've read lots of college books, use some
for teaching (part time and not EE, be reassured), and AoE is as
readable and engaging as it gets. The authors don't have any
point to make except introducing the willing soul to electronics.

Oct 7, 2003 at 1:32 PM Post #14 of 18
I started out with "Electric Circuits" by Nilsson Riedel. I also have "Microelectronic Circuit Design" by Jaeger that was used for the higher level circuits courses. These are what UofM used from at least '98 to '02.

EC is good for beginers. I use MCD more now for a reference. It is more complete but also more complicated than EC.

Oct 7, 2003 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

How far does AoE go into more specific audio applications?

It touches on audio here and there, but it's not an "audio applications book" by any stretch of the imagination. The purpose of AoE is to teach you the basics of electronics, so that you can understand circuits like you'd find in audioXpress magazine. If you wanted a second book that was all about audio applications, I don't have a single one to recommend to you. I haven't found one yet that has everything you'd want to know in one place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back