Electric bass
Mar 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dolph

New Head-Fier
Hi. Didn't know where to drop this thread so i dropped it here.

Some of my friends are playing music together. They aren't that good but they are having a lot of fun. They mostly play rock/metal and they've asked me to join them. I've thought about getting a bass, but iv'e never used one (aside from 3rd grade).
Anyway, i want to know some budget electric bass'. My budget is about 200 - 300$ (they are a bit more expansive here than in the US).
I also wan't to know if i'm able to use it with my speakers/subwoofer. It has got 2 rca connections (left and right). The subwoofer is 120 watt and i'm sure it's better than those cheap ones that comes in beginner sets.

Thanks 
regular_smile .gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 7
About a year ago I got an Ibanez electric guitar beginner set with a small amp. It's pretty nice. They have a similar set for bass guitar. Maybe that's what you're looking for? I got mine at Guitar Center. HTH.

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 7
I have the ibanez starter kit, the bass is amazing, but the amp is not loud enought for anything but practicing at home. I dont recommend hooking up a bass on that gear, it may ruin it. You'll need an atleast 50 watt amplifier if you want to play in a band, but 80-100w is rather recommended. Check out Acoustic B100, it seems to be a bargain (I'ver never tried it, coz ints not avaiable in my country).
About the bass: i don't think you can go wrong with ibanez, especially at those styles. If you're from the USA, check out SX jazzbasses, they are hella cheap, and I saw some good reviews of them (look around @ youtube).

Good luck!

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 7
The cheapest Ibanez i could find on any online danish retailer was the Ibanez GSR180. It costs 1699 dkr which is about 320$. It doesn't come with an amp, only the bass. I've found beginner sets for about1200 dkr which is about 220$. One of them include a Sant bass and a 15 watt amp. There's also a set to 1699 with a Sheltor or Bassor bass (some models to chose from) and a 30 watt amp. Do you think those brands are okay? I'd love to search a bit more but all the homework we've got now is killing me.
Anyway, i would prefer to use my current subwoofer if i can (my friend says i can, but i'm not sure since he doesn't know a lot about it to be honest) and save some money, until i found out if it's something for me and i want to take it a step further. Aren't the connections for bass' those big jack plugs? If i can find a jack to rca cable, shouldn't the signal be just the same as a tv for example? 
I think we have got an instrument store downtown but i'm not sure it still exists. I could just ask them but i'm sure they will just sell me a set that costs the half on the internet.

Thanks

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 7
That subwoofer thing... that might work temporarily. I tried something like that on my crappy "surround sound" one time and it actually did work. I was using a cable like the one you're describing.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 7
The Gsr 180 costs around 250$ shipped in Hungary, so i dont think its a good deal for 320.
I've never heard of those brands, dont buy them without trying them out. Maybe take a look at Cort basses, they are pretty good too.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 7
My parents want to "invest" so the budget is a little higher.  I couldn't find any Cort basses. I think it's a bit confusing to find one, because people recommend all bass', and there is at least one bad thing about each bass. Do you know something worth mentioning? I don't really care if it's passive or active, since many people say active is sometimes annoying, but gives some more tweaks. You got a good word on Yamaha and Fender? They should also have some good bass' in that price range.

Thanks 
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back