Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid: Where's the Love?
May 29, 2008 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
I've been big fans of the band Elbow ever since our own markl turned me on to them about two years ago. They have always reminded me of older Genesis...in fact, imagine what the older Genesis would have been like if Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett had kicked Phil Collins and Tony Banks out of the band.

Their most recent album, The Seldom Seen Kid, is a most enjoyable listen. I've heard very little about it around these parts, and was wondering what y'all thought about it. I like it a bit less than Leaders of the Free World thus far...my favorite track is "The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver".

May 29, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like it a bit less than Leaders of the Free World thus far...my favorite track is "The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver".

For me this album was a good step forward after Leaders, which I wasn't a huge fan of. Since I've finally come to face the grim reality that they aren't going to do another Asleep in the Back, I've come to really, really enjoy this album. Guy Garvey is definitely an under appreciated singer round these parts, and he is in top form here. For me my favorite song thus far is Mirrorball. It's a shame they edited the song a bit for the US release, as well as the opening track Starlings. It almost makes me want to import an EU copy just to get the original versions.

All in all, while it ain't album of the year material, it is a damn good listen. Thanks for showing Elbow some love.

May 29, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 19
i was in the UK when this album came out and got to see them live @ Oxford

"Darling is this love?... *fanfare explosion*"

it was one of the most human musical and social experiences I've ever had.
this album got me to love Cast of Thousands, which never really clicked with me. now I love all their albums to bits.
the only track I'm still weak on is Audience with the Pope...as it feels like it should have gone somewhere more. its heartwarming to know that they recorded/mastered the album all on their own and are members of TurnMeUp.org... its a treat for the ears.
One day like This is so uplifting that my face aches from smiling, and Friend of Ours is so touching it nearly brings a tear every time.

"you are the only thing in any room you're ever in..."
"throw those curtains wide, one day like this a year would see me right"

May 29, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 19
Ah, how can you not love the Seldom Seen Kid? I think the album is a more rounded affair as opposed to Leaders of the Free World and Guy sounds like he is more comfortable with his voice. I agree Starlings is a fantastic opener. I also got to see them about a month ago in Leeds, and

"Darling is this love?... *fanfare explosion*"

2532925081_a7b54cce5b.jpg

sent shivers down my spine. We were also lucky enough for Richard Hawley to turn up and perform the duet the Fix and come back for the encore!

Also seeing Guy banging a large lump of metal for grounds for divorce was quite cool
biggrin.gif

2532925169_6e06eaaa68.jpg

May 29, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 19
Seldom Seen Kid is my favourite album this year. It's also very well recorded.

May 29, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 19
SSK was a big "grower" for me - I have to confess to being disappointed on the first few listens.

It was only really the 10th time around (yes, there must have been something there to keep me coming back) that it "clicked" and now I am quite smitten.

smily_headphones1.gif

Hm - maybe there is another thread in that somewhere:

"What keeps you coming back to a "grower" album"?

I think probably most of my very favourite albums are those that took a bit of time and effort to come round to, but I wonder why I actually bothered coming back to them tie and again if I wasn't that convinced after the first few times?

confused.gif

Makes me feel that there are lots of mediocre albums out there that I need to revisit, just case!

May 29, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 19
Hi elrod-tom, yeah one of fav groups.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've only had the chance to listen to this once, but I loved what I heard. There's something about Guy's voice that is just so expressive, hopeful and moving (yet sad and tired at the same time). Like a depressed Peter Gabriel with a hang-over.
tongue.gif

Quote:

I've finally come to face the grim reality that they aren't going to do another Asleep in the Back

mwallace573, I'm kinda with you on this, but Cast of Thousands comes damn close. At first blush, this new one seems closer to Leaders than either of the first two. A little softer around the edges, a little more "adult", a little less swooning and careening, with more discrete and properly formed songs.

I'll need a few more listens to really get a grip on it, as with all Elbow albums they're growers.

May 29, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 19
i love Elbow... i think they are one of the most underrated bands of all time. that said, SSK is definitely a grower, i was so excited the first say of release and was mildly disappointed with the first few listens but it has since grown on me. it's not as immediately accessible as Leaders but seem to be cut from the same cloth. still... nothing can top Asleep in the Back though, i love that album. i spent an insane amount of money on the import when it came out years ago because i couldn't wait for the US release. sucks too since the UK edition is missing the title track.

anyhoo... Elbow's great.

May 30, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 19
"The Fix" is some of the most fun I've had in a while. It's just a matter of time until that song is on a movie soundtrack. Unfortunately, nothing else on the album has been memorable for me.

May 30, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The Fix" is some of the most fun I've had in a while. It's just a matter of time until that song is on a movie soundtrack. Unfortunately, nothing else on the album has been memorable for me.

Very wittty lyrics. Especially like the line:
The redoubtable beast has had pegasus pills

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 19
Great band.

Their debut album was ridiculously polished and impressive (then again I read they had been working on the material for years).

But none of the follow up albums have come close and I've been losing interest with each one...hopefully the new one will redeem them (for me).

Still on the strength of the 1st album alone they're underrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back