EL2009CT buffers - GROUP BUY THREAD
Jan 15, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #18 of 132
I have been searching for some of these myself.
Still awaiting some feedback.
But in principle I am interested in obtaining 3-6 pieces.

Cheers

Setmenu
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #20 of 132
UPDATE

Total interest so far: 42 to 58 buffers.

I currently have reasonable quotes from 3 places:

Telesis Technology Corp.: 50 @ $31.25
Sogenti, Inc.: 50 @ $25
PartMiner: 50 @ $33.33

I also have a quote from USBid for 50 @ $20, but they are a bit older than the others (date code 95+), and the supplier only has exactly 50 available.

I have talked to Telesis on the phone, and they have 200+ in stock, and claim they test every part they have in stock. The parts are all date code 2000. They are a military supplier for the F-16 aircraft, and have a sales dept. that sells excess stock. I am fairly confident these are brand new parts, and would feel comfortable ordering from them. I am waiting on a reply from their applications department to confirm the leads are formed as in the spec sheet, not straight.

Sogenti is in Canada, and claims 8 day delay on the parts. I have not talked to them on the phone yet, and am awaiting an email response to them on part details.

I have not talked to PartMiner on the phone yet, and don't have much reason to, unless Telesis falls through, as the PartMiner quote is higher than all the rest. However I might contact them to see if they can be more competitive on the price, once I've had a few days to talk to the other suppliers.

I would prefer to get us the newest parts possible, which seems like it will be parts with 2000 date code. PPL commented that all parts prior to 1999 have thermal shutdown, but did not say if that was desirable or not. Maybe PPL might have some comments on that matter?

While we're at it, these chips need some massive heatsinking, is anyone interested in including the heatsinks in the group buy? I know these can be very dependent on what enclosure you choose to house your amp in, so I understand if there is not much interest in this. If anyone has suggestions for heatsink part numbers, please post them.

And last but not least: if you're interested in these buffers, but haven't posted yet, please reply to this thread with your interest! I'll give it 'til the beginning of next week before really trying to firm up the final order quantity.

-Jason

Jan 15, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #22 of 132
Quote:

PPL commented that all parts prior to 1999 have thermal shutdown, but did not say if that was desirable or not.

It's desirable from a durability standpoint, but from a strict audio quality standpoint it's a bad thing. The protection mechanisms tend to start kicking in far below the point where damage would occur. Since they work by "strangling" the chip, they hurt sound quality.

Quote:

final order quantity.

If you can swing it, you should get some extras above what is requested. There will be stragglers who will want some.

Jan 15, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #24 of 132
As for the extras, I have no doubt you'd be able to sell them later on here in the for sale forums if you did get any. I'm not sure whether I'll use all 6 of mine or not, but figured I may as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #25 of 132
That's incredible - they changed the chip's silicon more than a decade after launch and only a year before discontinuing it?? Sorry for giving a bad advice earlier, I just cannot believe anyone would've done something that economically stupid. Thanks tangent and ppl for this piece of info...

Jan 15, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #26 of 132
it was discontinued after they were bought over, by Intersil I think, who discontinued the non-profitable lines and however much we feel we're a big buying force, a few hundred chips a year is definately not profitable. So they probably didn't see the merger coming up. How sad market forces have to rule the world
frown.gif

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back