El Cheapo Alert (Mini-Reviews inside)
May 22, 2003 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

sacriste

100+ Head-Fier
"You have to be thankful of the little good things what you've got so far" H.J.Me

For all the cheapos out there, I have some recommendations:

AIWA HP-V163: Some people have recommended this earbuds some time ago. I'm not able to buy from USA in this moment so I was so happy to found something to expend my head-fimoney here. But I was even happier to find that it was well expended. This earbuds have nicer highs than the MX500 (e.g. India Arie “Video” starting sound is more extended) and the bass is a little over the limit but not dirty. The only bad thing is a peak around 5000 Hz, but the beloved MX500 has the same around 7000. I put the RatShack pads on this and it tamed the offender. Comfort-wise the air cushion system works in my little ears. In the other hand, they are easier to drive from a portable. The best thing is that I paid around ten bucks including taxes. God loves me.

PHILIPS DVD 751: I have waited too long to give a well deserved praise to this thing. Oh, that headphone jack sounds so beatiful. Lots of details and space. You can detect different textures inside the same song, you can point different sonic layers in a good recording (e.g. Buena Vista Social Club, Marley’s Ghost).The bass isn’t deep but is solid, the highs are slightly in the bright side for my tastes and the midrange is just right. If you push me to give a single phrase it would be: clean richness . My only other listenable amp is a CMOY, but I talking about plain sound not comparing with anything. But it is more enjoyable that the CMOY, because the last seems to compress a little the sound, adding some strength but losing delicacy. I even take the cover off to look what´s going on in there. I found a dedicated card doing the job, but I’m sure it has to do with the DVD power supply too. If the DVD ever got broken, In would try to transplant this circuit to a portable box, hahaha.

O.K. My first review is ready, my English teacher would be proud, any correction is welcome...

EDIT: By the way, the CMOY sounds a lot better on batteries. If you don't have a regulated PS, try it this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back