El Capitan Public Beta USB Issue
Jul 10, 2015 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

groovyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Just throwing this out there to see if anyone else has tried the latest El Capitan Public Beta and is having any problems with their USB audio devices as a result of it?  For example since the upgrade my McIntosh D100 is dropping 1 second of audio every 15 seconds as connected through an Anker Usb 3.0 async capable powered hub.  It happens from any audio source, iTunes, Safari, Skype, JRiver, etc... and so basically you cannot listen to music with it because every 15 seconds it cuts a second.

I am hoping this is a problem for other people with other gear because if it is just me then I doubt I will ever see a fix for it come down the pipe.

What it seems is happening and this is just educated speculation is they changed the USB driver or have some process scheduled to wake every 15 sec and take full priority over the bus for a second.  If this is true I would have expected to see the same pausing for disk transfers but I have not looked that closely yet.  Other possibility is that I can no longer set the Clock Source in Midi Setup to using the clock provided by the D100 but it is now only set to 'Default' or the clock of the mac itself which is probably totally out of time with what the DAC requires to fill its buffers on time.  So maybe a specific audio USB driver issue and related to the async devices?

Anyway, please pipe up if you are having similar audio issues under El Cap. and hopefully we can get some consensus on this.

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 22
  I'm having similar problems using just the macbook pro headphone jack. Not happening with the internal speakers though.

Is it blanking out a second of audio every say 15 seconds?  That is what mine did.  I figured out how to fix it by using a HiFiMeDiy USB DAC which converts the signal to optical which I then run to my D100 optical in instead of the USB direct to the D100.  I noticed the issues were also improved by reading files off the internal SSD as opposed to my external Usb3.0 HD on the same hub as the D100.  So it appears there may be 2 problems adding up; onne is just prioritization of the USB bus while using multiple devices and the other is the USB driver itself for the McIntosh (which wasn't installed by McIntosh but was automatically recognized by Apple and I suspect it is one of Apple's drivers).

I think in these first few public betas they have a ton of data gathering going on about everything that happens and for this the performance is sub-par.  I also noticed Safari takes forever to load webpages sometimes and opening windows sometimes delays as well.

Wish they atleast tried providing an optimized experience including all USB support etc. when giving out the betas.  I know it is one of those things though you accept it with the privilege to be first.

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 22
Public Beta 3 / Developer Beta 5, still not fixed. Better than PB2, but horrible clicks are still there.

EDIT: oh, and the usual audio input works just fine. Guess I have to shelve my 600s and use V-MODAs until the release.

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 22
Anybody still having problems with El Capitan and USB audio? I'm running my Mac into a TEAC A-H01 DAC/Amp and I'm experiencing distortion followed by complete loss of audio.

Rebooting brings back audio, but only for a short period of time. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #7 of 22
Is anyone having these problems still? I have a TEAC AI-501DA usb dac and it doesn't work more than 1-2 minutes before it cuts out, when play videos in Chrome, Safari or Firefox. Very frustrating, anyone know if there's a solution to the problem?

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 22
mine works fine now, ever since beta 5.... it actually sounds better then ever so i believe the intermediate hiccup might have been them fixing a bus timing issue.

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 22
  Is anyone having these problems still? I have a TEAC AI-501DA usb dac and it doesn't work more than 1-2 minutes before it cuts out, when play videos in Chrome, Safari or Firefox. Very frustrating, anyone know if there's a solution to the problem?

I have a TEAC UD-H01 and I'm having the same problem. It plays iTunes for 10 seconds and completely stops playing sound. When I turn off the DAC, the Mac plays sound again. This happens with VLC, iTunes, web, anything with sound. I already hate El Capitan and it hasn't been installed for more than 45 minutes. I cannot find any fixes. Apple's free software just negated my $500 sound system. 

edit: I also notice that browsing on Safari becomes painfully slow with just the DAC on... Apple has seriously failed on this one. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #13 of 22
Since upgrading to El Capitan last week my Macbook Air can no longer record via the built-in input or by firewire-to-thunderbolt. The speakers, built-in audio out, and built-in microphone still work. I can record using the built-in microphone.  The only sound input recognized in the 'Sound' settings is the built-in microphone. The computer doesn't even other recording devices, including the built-in input.

Oct 11, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 22

i have that same gear and the same exact issue,  i have also recently been testing a denon pma-50 and the usb is silent.  my old and incredible aune x1 dac however was recognized and works fine through usb.  for now i've  switched to optical on everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back