Either the sony mdr-cd780 or the sennheiser hd-590
May 4, 2004 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Drake

New Head-Fier
Hello people

I'm looking for a headphone to replace my technics rp-f580 (it has to little bass and to much treble, but it is in my opinion the most comfy headphone i know).

After some research i brought the number of choises down to these 2:
-Sony MDR-CD780.
-Sennheiser HD-590.

Ok the headphone must be/have:
-Extremely comfy, i will wear them atleast 2 hours per day if not more.
-Able to be driven from a portable/computer soundcard with good sound(i might consider upgrading to an amp but not for the first year i will use the headphone, becouse there to expensive for me).
-Must have strong low kickass bass.(like the philips 890 has or better).

Ok after my day in amsterdam
cool.gif
i was a bit unlucky, i had only found the sony 580 (instead of the 780) and the sennheiser 570 (instead of the 590). Ok this is my opinion of both

sony:
it had good sound, bass was ok (and far better dan the technics) i realy liked the treble and the mid's it gave (much less sharp than on the technics).
It was also quit comfy but i realy prefere something that go's around my ears instead of sitting on them.
So the sound was ok but it was not comfy enough for me.

Sennheiser: Ow boy this is what i mean when a headphone is comfy but the sound it was to warm, the treble was very bad and not detailed the bass was not terrific either.

so does the 590 sounds way better than the 570 with more treble and less warmer sound,and wil it also give more bass than the sony 780?
Also i think that the sony is easy'er to drive without a amp.
what would you recommend me either the 590 or the sony, becouse i did not get the change to listen to them both only the lower graded models so i cannot judge them both.(i had also listen to the beyerdynamic dtx900 which had in my opinion good sound but was very uncomfy)

i'm realy confused becouse i would like the sony as the sound (good bass not to warm and good treble) but the sennheiser as the looks and for the comfy.

May 4, 2004 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 18
Well, the HD570 is crap. The HD590 is much better than the HD570, but it has a rather scooped-out midrange, meaning, its mids are recessed compared to the treble and bass. I personally don't like it. You might consider trying one of the new model Sennheisers, specifically the HD555 which people seem to like.

May 4, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Well, the HD570 is crap. The HD590 is much better than the HD570, but it has a rather scooped-out midrange, meaning, its mids are recessed compared to the treble and bass. I personally don't like it. You might consider trying one of the new model Sennheisers, specifically the HD555 which people seem to like.

i forgot to mention that i also listend to that one but it also sounded to warm and again the treble was not good either and it was not as comfy as the 570 was.

May 4, 2004 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 18
Well, the HD590 is about the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn, and it does have good amount of (though sometimes splashy) treble and kickin' bass. If you don't mind the lack of midrange, it might be the cans that suit you best, at your price range.

May 4, 2004 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I was about to say the same about the 570, but since you've already listened to what I was going to suggest you're best off going with your own ears.

What's your source and budget? Do you have an amp?

budget is max 190 euro, i don't have a amp.

May 4, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

budget is max 190 euro, i don't have a amp.

with your budget you might want to look into Audiotechnia A900 or maybe Ultrasones HFI-650 or 700.

May 4, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 18
Here is my opposite view in this thread:

I don't care much for those mid-level Sony MDR-CDxxx series headphones, either. I've listened to the MDR-CD580 myself, and it is WAY too bright! The treble is so loud that it (figuratively) pierced my eardrums!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
(And nope; I didn't deliberately boost the treble on the receiver that I demoed those CD580's on - I left the treble in the "0" or mid-range position.)

Unfortunately, good sound in your price range is very difficult to come by. The mid-level Senns -- especially the HD 570 -- aren't very good, either. The treble on the 570 is also very bright -- and the treble quality is harsh and spitty, as well.

In my honest opinion, Drake, you think of "sound quality" as a mere function of "how much treble and how loud of a treble that the audio component reproduces." - and in your view, the brighter, the better. But that's NOT how most of the rest of us think.

May 4, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 18
Erm no offence but what i want is a headphone that is far less brighter than the technics rp-f580 that i own at the moment.

what i'm looking for is a headphone that is extremely comfortable, does not require an amp and is not to much bright.

the sony mdr-580 is bright but far less brighter than the technics is (the technics is just overkill and will probobly sound awfull to u but i'm quit used to it).

ok in my opinion the sennheiser hd600/650(i've tried alot of headphones that day) sounded very good if it comes to sound quality, i can afford a 600 (cost 250 )
but what bothers me the most is that it requires an amp and it lacked a bit in bass but probobly becouse in the store they were on an unpowered amp.

than comes the 590, but the point is that i'm afraid to buy it becouse i don't know what to expect from it sinds i won't drive it with a amp. Some say it is too bright which is the last thing i want becouse i'm trying to get rid of the brightness
smily_headphones1.gif
.And i want to be able to use it with my computer and portable.

Other headphone's are out of the question sinds the important thing for me is that they are comfortable (that is why i bought the technics 2 years ago but i never liked the sound of it).And the only 4 i liked when it comes to comfortability are:

-sens 590/600.
-sony 580/CDR2000.

So the best headphones i've listen to are the hd600 (650 is way to expensive so i won't mention them) but becouse of the fact that i can't affort both an amp and a headphone, i can't buy them.

The sony's are my second choise becouse they are easy to drive (don't need an amp) and have decent sound (in my opinion).

May 4, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 18
I bought the technics rp-f580 a couple of years ago, the sound was detailed(in that price range i mean), but there was way too much treble to my taste.
I then decided to buy the Sennheiser HD590 which I use now unamped, and really, this was a huge upgraded over the rp-f580, and the HD590 is even more comfortable. They're detailed, on the bright side, I found the bass pretty good. The only drawback is that I found some signs of sibilance on some records which I heard would be partly solved with a better cable(like the Equinox one).
Out of my CD player, Integretated amp or sound card, they sound great, with my sharp MD, it sounds ok, but not awesome.

May 4, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
The A500 perhaps?

They look interesting but,

audio technica headphones are difficult to get in holland,
and they are closed, i prefere open headphones.

May 5, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 18
the 595 looks interesting i'll try to check them out tomorrow (if i can find a store that has them).

btw my eye also cought this one: Philips SBCHP1000
looiks nice on paper and pictures and is also not hard to drive, but is it any good? (couldn'd find a review of them though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back