Eight o' clock coffee
Jan 15, 2011 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
I am a regular patron at Starbucks until their prices for their coffees got more expensive especially with their Reserve Blend brand of coffees. I still drink it once in a while, but I really cut down on Starbucks to save a lot of money in my budget. I switched to Eight o' Clock coffee which is good though not as good as Starbucks. For a regular cup of coffee, it is smooth, flavorful, and it is not too strong unlike Starbucks.

Does anyone here drink Eight o' Clock coffee?

I bought the Bokar and Columbian Blend coffees. They are indistinguishable in my taste testings, but both are very good coffees. I also had their flavored coffees which are also quite good such as Vanilla or Mocha.

Overall, I rate this brand of coffee to be quite good and rather inexpensive compared to other brands such as Dillanos or Starbucks coffees. Those brands of coffee are much better in taste testings, but they are very expensive indulgences from time to time.

What do you guys drink for coffee?

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 5
8 o'clock is great for a brand that's readily available at nearby grocery stores. I typically get the french roast and original. The dark Italian is also pretty decent.

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 5
I LOVE the 8 O'Clock 100% Columbian.   Gotta get the whole bean, though, and grind it yourself.  Taste better when fresh ground.  Note, it's a medium-roast coffee, not a dark roast.  Has a flavor that's described as "vinous."  Not expensive.

Another really great coffee is Trader Joe's 100% Kauai.  Just as sweet and wonderful as Kona, but nowhere near as costly.  Again, a medium roast, and again, you must grind your own. Not a costly coffee.

If you are lucky enough to live near a Julius Meinl coffeehouse - started in Vienna in 1862 - try whatever coffee of the day they are serving.  The flavor and complexity blows away anything Starbucks serves.  I've never bought any beans from them, I don't know if you can make the same good tasting brew at home.

Flavored coffee is a crime against nature, IMO. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 5
Flavored coffee is good if it is blended right. Dillanos coffee roasters blend their flavors perfectly with their Arabica beans. I might order some from them soon. It has been years. Eight 'o Clock Mocha is quite good and it is inexpensive.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Can't drink stale coffee, at least not black. Consider purchasing a cheap blade grinder, a Melitta pour-over with paper filters, and some freshly roasted beans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back