Eight ball image appearing in emails ????
Mar 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
Yesterday I sent off some photos to a friend via email and cc'd myself at the same time. I just took a look and both the copy in my sent file and received file for a couple of the emails I sent, have the small image of an eight ball located at the top right of the page in the heading area ... directly across from Subject, To, From, etc.

I sent several emails to the same person but only two of them have this image appearing at the top.

Any ideas where the eight ball came from? I'm using a Mac.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 8
MagicGoogle8Ball.jpg

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 8
Nocturnal: I did that before posting.

Results 1 - 10 of about 24,600,000 for eight ball in email.

I found something about an eightball virus from 2000 that erases mp3's, but nothing about the eightball image. Then again, I haven't checked all 24,600,000 google hits yet.

Thanks for taking the time to post your helpful advice however.

mrarroyo: I don't recall ever signing up to anything like this, and clicking on the eightball in the email does nothing.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday I sent off some photos to a friend via email and cc'd myself at the same time. I just took a look and both the copy in my sent file and received file for a couple of the emails I sent, have the small image of an eight ball located at the top right of the page in the heading area ... directly across from Subject, To, From, etc.

I sent several emails to the same person but only two of them have this image appearing at the top.

Any ideas where the eight ball came from? I'm using a Mac.

The eight ball is because you have an eight ball image stored in your Mac Address Book associated with your email address.

Mail uses contact images from Address Book when displaying emails.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 8
Dzjudz & AlanY: Thanks, that must be it. I do have a .Mac address that I rarely use and somehow two of the six emails I sent to the same person went out on that address. I don't remember setting up the eightball image to appear however. Also, I guess my ebay search "eightball image email" wasn't as good as yours Dzjudz. Did you by any chance use "mac" in your search? It didn't occur to me that this might be operating system specific.

Anyway, thanks again. I'm just glad it wasn't some sort of virus. Some day I hope to understand Macs better as well.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I guess my ebay search "eightball image email" wasn't as good as yours Dzjudz. Did you by any chance use "mac" in your search? It didn't occur to me that this might be operating system specific.

Indeed I did, I searched for mac eight ball e-mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back