Eichmann Topper...???
Jan 19, 2004 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Voodoochile

Supafly & The Funky Pimps
I hate to sound like a skeptic, but has anyone tried this?

No, I'm not shopping for any resonance control stuff, I just stumbled across it. I've never felt more skeptical, but who knows, perhaps it works wonders? Anyone out there tried it?

Jan 19, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 15
Sorry, call me skeptical, but those toppers simply do not have the mass needed for true resonance control. Plus they look rather silly. I thought it was a heatsink at first glance.

Ask them to send you a sample, though.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 15
Heh....

I do not think resonance is really a problem with anything besides speakers. Having said that, I wonder if the things really do lower resonance.

Jan 20, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 15
resonance is a MAJOR problem in recent years due to the cheasy as* chassis work we have come to expect as 'normal'

the was a time when a 60WPC integrated Class AB amp would way in at 50lbs and that was before you purchased the wood cabinet option !

but these little gizmos do not address this , just change the point of resonance

quik test-unless you payed big bucks for a krell or pass labs (etc) , tap the top cover of the componant and listen to the sound

you tell me if you think it will resonate at volume with the music

fortunately headphone based systems have no problems in this area

Jan 20, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 15
I was skeptical, until I read this:

Quote:

Position 3 eXpress Topper™s - parallel and slightly apart on the top of a speaker, close to the front baffle (logo facing out).

Ok, they just lost a potential customer.

Jan 20, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 15
I'm sure they work simply as weights to dampen amps/CDP's, but i doubt they have any magical properties that would do this job any better than a brick.

BTW, every one of you guys should have invested in a brick by now (And no, i don't mean the VPI magic brick. Just an plain old cement brick)

Jan 20, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 15
If you guys are really worried about chassis resonance, take a tip from the car audio and silent PC crowd. There are adhesive sheets of dampening material like Dynamat. Dynamat is readily available everywhere. But the lower end stuff smells, and the higher end stuff is expensive.

My personal favorite is Brown Bread. It looks like shiny foil with black sticky stuff on the inside. It is very flexible and quite heat resistant. It's originally meant for car interiors, and can withstand the extreme temperatures.

The stuff can get really tacky if the edges are exposed, or you break through the foil layer. But it is fairly thin (about 1.6 mm thick) and very dense. It might be too thick for some applications, but you don't really need to line the entire interior of an enclosure with it. I wouldn't stick this stuff on the outside, unless you cover it with something else, and it will probably be permanent, because it's a real bitch to get off once it's on.

Brown Bread and Other Sound Deadening Materials

I'm in no way affiliated with b-quiet.com, but I've ordered from them several times, and have had a good experience each time.

-Ed

Jan 20, 2004 at 11:58 AM Post #9 of 15
Ed- IO do use dynamat on some chassis panels... and even then I'm not really worried about resonance per se, I just dont like the tinny feel of the panels (like the hood of a typical CDP).

So, as I said, I'm not in the market for these... but when I saw it, I was pretty much blown away that it even could possibly work. Maybe if they were 6" square and each weighed 5 lbs... but even then not on a speaker cabinet... I would be very surprised.

I didn't even look to check the price... figured it was insane. If they were cheap, they would make cool little heatsinks though...
wink.gif

I'm a bit relieved that no one has checked in to say "These things are great, and my system is 250% better with them, thye are invaluable..." etc. Whew!

Eichmann does make nice RCA plugs, so this surprises me some.

Jan 20, 2004 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Voodoochile

I'm a bit relieved that no one has checked in to say "These things are great, and my system is 250% better with them, thye are invaluable..." etc. Whew!

Not so fast! These things are great, and my system is 250% better with them, they are invaluable!
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by tortie
Not so fast! These things are great, and my system is 250% better with them, they are invaluable!
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks buddy!

I hope you paid retail...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
Do you think they have one sized for a minidisc player?

Jan 20, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #12 of 15
I think you can use the normal toppers for the mini disk but they must be placed
"parallel and slightly apart on the top of the MD close to the front (logo facing in)"
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 15
Just remembered I have maybe a half dozen Xeon heatsinks downstairs. Maybe I will do some research.
rolleyes.gif

(sorry... please let this thread die now)

Jan 22, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
OK, time to let this one die. Oops. I bumped it.

-Ed

Ya, you really shouldn't have...
rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back