Ei Elite or JJs for MG Head
Aug 15, 2003 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering which is a better set of EL84s JJ or the Ei Elites. Yup another MG in the house. Called Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio today and ordered up a new MG Head OTL MKII. Need a nice little amp for the bedroom.
cool.gif

Aug 15, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 21
I have not heard the JJ's myself but do have a pair of the Ei Elite Gold EL84's (that's like a tongue twister) and find them to be excellent.

I hope you like the OTL MKII! I've had one for about a month and love it!! Supposed to be an upgraded power supply for the MKII coming this fall, which will be tube rectified and tube regulated.

Aug 15, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 21
One vote here that prefers the Ei Elites over any other current stock EL84's, and I believe I've tried them all.

Aug 15, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 21
I prefer the JJ's - more detail, less dark. The Ei's have a touch more bass, but it's less defined. I have both, and the Ei's never get used anymore.

-dd3mon

Aug 15, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
I prefer the JJ's - more detail, less dark. The Ei's have a touch more bass, but it's less defined. I have both, and the Ei's never get used anymore.

-dd3mon

No kidding! Interesting. I'll have to give the JJ's a try. Do you find the JJ's extra detail to ever border brightness at all? Does it lend to a slightly larger stage, more air or anything like that?

Aug 15, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
One vote here that prefers the Ei Elites over any other current stock EL84's, and I believe I've tried them all.

How did you think they compared to the JJ's, Dusty? I definitely like the Ei's but having never heard the JJ's I'm very curious.

Aug 15, 2003 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 21
I have the JJs, and am pretty satisfied with it. Never tried the Elite. In my experience, the JJs bring out whatever the center tube didn't. They fill in the rest of the spectrum quite nicely paired with Syvlania 5751 black triple.

Aug 15, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
No kidding! Interesting. I'll have to give the JJ's a try. Do you find the JJ's extra detail to ever border brightness at all? Does it lend to a slightly larger stage, more air or anything like that?

I found the JJ's a bit too revealing (not bright, but revealing) before I got my Equinox cable for my HD600's. Now that I have the Equinox, the peak in the lower treble has disapeered, and the JJ's are awesome (much preferred to Ei's). It also depends largely on what tube you use in the center.

Yes, the added high frequency info (more balanced IMO) adds to air, soundstage, etc.. as more information comes through, more cleanly (throughout the whole spectrum) IMO.

-dd3mon

Aug 16, 2003 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

I have the JJs, and am pretty satisfied with it. Never tried the Elite. In my experience, the JJs bring out whatever the center tube didn't. They fill in the rest of the spectrum quite nicely paired with Syvlania 5751 black triple.

------------

Yes, the added high frequency info (more balanced IMO) adds to air, soundstage, etc.. as more information comes through, more cleanly (throughout the whole spectrum) IMO.

Awe for crying out loud, I just ordered a pair of the JJ's.
smily_headphones1.gif
Heck, at $15 a matched pair it's not much money. I am using a Sylvania 5751 JHS black plate in the center right now. I had been thinking about changing interconnects recently, thinking they might be a tad on the dark side as I've been wanting a bit more upper end energy and air. Maybe the JJ's will be what I am looking for, sounds like the Sylvania's and JJ's pair well.

I have an Equinox cable as well and much preferred it to the Cardas.

Aug 16, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 21
I preffer the JJ Tesla over the Ei Elite, I even sold them to get another pair of JJ after tried them for a while.....don't let the gold pins fool you, the quality is very similar..but you can try both, both are cheap and good IMO the best current production options...

Aug 16, 2003 at 5:21 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Awe for crying out loud, I just ordered a pair of the JJ's.
smily_headphones1.gif
Heck, at $15 a matched pair it's not much money. I am using a Sylvania 5751 JHS black plate in the center right now. I had been thinking about changing interconnects recently, thinking they might be a tad on the dark side as I've been wanting a bit more upper end energy and air. Maybe the JJ's will be what I am looking for, sounds like the Sylvania's and JJ's pair well.

I have an Equinox cable as well and much preferred it to the Cardas.

That's nearly the exact setup I have, although I prefer my Gold Brand/Pin Sylvania 5751 to the my 5751 JHS black plate by a wee bit. The combination is really quite good (JJ+high end sylvanias+equinox).

-dd3mon

Aug 19, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

How did you think they compared to the JJ's, Dusty? I definitely like the Ei's but having never heard the JJ's I'm very curious.

I just found the JJ's a bit too grainy, IIRC.

Aug 19, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #15 of 21
What are you using right now, Eric?

Were the Ei's you tried the Elite Gold's? Regardless, what did you not like about them? Just curious. I am using the Elite's right now with JJ's coming on Wednesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back