Eggos too loud!
Apr 23, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
I just don't understand what all this talk is of "no bass." I hear the bass.

Therein lies the problem: bass that is decent should be felt as well as heard. A 4" speaker can make hearable bass, but cinvincing bass needs to move nough air to make itself known also. It needn't be a huge amount of bass, just feelable to be believeable. A good bass is one that has impact at all volumes, it just moves up in intensity and impact as the volume increases.
biggrin.gif

Not a flame war invitation, just my perception of why bass that is heard and not felt is "preceived" and being not enough or too little.

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #17 of 48
I'm thinking about starting up a new team, "team dormant Eggo" that simply enjoy their Eggos and let all the talk about "no bass" pass by like water under a bridge. Because deep down those guys just want a pair of portapros that look cool
evil_smiley.gif
But let's face it, most people that think the D66 aren't good are pretty hung up on bass because that's basically the only thing they are complaining about.

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
I'm thinking about starting up a new team, "team dormant Eggo" that simply enjoy their Eggos and let all the talk about "no bass" pass by like water under a bridge. Because deep down those guys just want a pair of portapros that look cool
evil_smiley.gif
But let's face it, most people that think the D66 aren't good are pretty hung up on bass because that's basically the only thing they are complaining about.

hmm. I hope you are not directing that comment at me
tongue.gif

indeed I do like the Eggos. I will be keeping them and I do enjoy listening to them.. but the fact remains that to *my* ears, something is missing. Its not something I made up, as countless others have suggested the same thing.. Even Mr. Eggo himself (Lou) has mentioned the lack of bass.

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 48
TMC-

I noticed that you have the KSC-35 as well.. If you were to A/B them, which do you prefer? I find it very hard to believe that you would go for the Eggo sound over the KSC-35.

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
hmm. I hope you are not directing that comment at me
tongue.gif

indeed I do like the Eggos. I will be keeping them and I do enjoy listening to them.. but the fact remains that to *my* ears, something is missing. Its not something I made up, as countless others have suggested the same thing.. Even Mr. Eggo himself (Lou) has mentioned the lack of bass.

Nah I never direct my comments towards anyone, but if anyone feels mentioned, that's not my fault
biggrin.gif
But about the lack of bass, I think there is a pretty easy test. If you have a pair of portapros and don't find the bass too exaggerated for your personal musical enjoyment, I can see why you think there's something missing in the bass of D66. To me the portas has too strong mid-bass so I don't find anything serious lacking in the D66 bass. I believe Lou enjoys the portapros, which I personally don't.

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

TMC-

I noticed that you have the KSC-35 as well.. If you were to A/B them, which do you prefer? I find it very hard to believe that you would go for the Eggo sound over the KSC-35.

Well I do prefer the D66 and that's when in a totally quiet environment so the KSC35's lack of isolation has nothing to do with it. The KSC35 just doesn't have the refined sound of D66 as in direct comparison they sound a bit "raw". And I find the soundstage of D66 to be better defined. Really unless I want some thumping bass or ultra portability, which I rarely do, I use the D66.

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 48
Yes, I agree that the portapros have a bit of exaggerated bass. No doubt about that.

However... When I compare with 'flat' cans such as the HD600 and ER4-S, the Eggos are clearly missing somthing. The bass is there, but very_very thin and unspoken for.

Anyways all that matters is that you like your cans. I'm not arguing that!
biggrin.gif

cheers!

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
...most people that think the D66 aren't good are pretty hung up on bass because that's basically the only thing they are complaining about...

I didn't say I didn't like the Eggos. I think they sound very nice. My complaint isn't with the bass. Bass notes, like from an electric bass or standup are there, they're punchy and deep. I seem to lose something in the lower mids, which is especially noticeable on male vocals and with rock. I tend to want to turn it up to try and bring out that detail, which may result in me listening too loud. My other complaint is that they do not isolate. I have read many recommendations for the Eggos when people have asked about a good, closed portable phone. To me, these do not isolate enough to be considered a good "closed" phone. They are still a good phone on the go and I am still on the team.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Yes, I agree that the portapros have a bit of exaggerated bass. No doubt about that.

However... When I compare with 'flat' cans such as the HD600 and ER4-S, the Eggos are clearly missing somthing. The bass is there, but very_very thin and unspoken for.

Anyways all that matters is that you like your cans. I'm not arguing that!
biggrin.gif

cheers!

Really, the bass of D66 is very thin compared to HD600? That makes me believe the HD600 are for bass-lovers or something. I just don't understand that, because I find the D66 bass to occasionaly come out a bit weak, but in no way often or in a serious manner. Oh well I'll go back to enjoying my music instead, sometimes you have to agree to disagree
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2003 at 4:40 PM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by erikzen
I didn't say I didn't like the Eggos. I think they sound very nice. My complaint isn't with the bass. Bass notes, like from an electric bass or standup are there, they're punchy and deep. I seem to lose something in the lower mids, which is especially noticeable on male vocals and with rock. I tend to want to turn it up to try and bring out that detail, which may result in me listening too loud. My other complaint is that they do not isolate. I have read many recommendations for the Eggos when people have asked about a good, closed portable phone. To me, these do not isolate enough to be considered a good "closed" phone. They are still a good phone on the go and I am still on the team.
smily_headphones1.gif

Something missing in lower mids? That's strange because I haven't noticed it even though I play a lot of songs with male vocals like Sting, Chris Rea, Clapton etc. As for isolation you're right they aren't a totally closed solution. I do find them good enough for commuting and general portability when not in very noisy environments if you're not expecting total isolation, which I personally consider too dangerous for walking around in the city.

Apr 25, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Something missing in lower mids? That's strange because I haven't noticed it even though I play a lot of songs with male vocals like Sting, Chris Rea, Clapton etc. As for isolation you're right they aren't a totally closed solution. I do find them good enough for commuting and general portability when not in very noisy environments if you're not expecting total isolation, which I personally consider too dangerous for walking around in the city.

Hmmm, those are kind of high for male vocals, no? High tenor is Ok, it's just when it gets down to baritone that I find something missing. I could be nuts but there is a hole in the lower frequencies but not in the deep bass notes. I dunno, maybe it is in the low bass notes and this is just they way I perceive it.

Apr 25, 2003 at 12:08 PM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by erikzen
Hmmm, those are kind of high for male vocals, no? High tenor is Ok, it's just when it gets down to baritone that I find something missing. I could be nuts but there is a hole in the lower frequencies but not in the deep bass notes. I dunno, maybe it is in the low bass notes and this is just they way I perceive it.

You might say that about Sting or sometimes even Clapton, but Chris Rea sure ain't no tenor, he's more like a smoker baritone
wink.gif
I really haven't noticed anything missing in that range, but I mean if some think D66 totally lack bass I guess there's no surprise we find small differences like this.

Apr 25, 2003 at 1:46 PM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Chris Rea sure ain't no tenor, he's more like a smoker baritone
wink.gif

Very true! My bad
frown.gif

Overall, I think the Eggos sound great. I don't think they lack bass. But no headphone is perfect for everyone. I only started this thread because I see a lot of recommendations for the Eggos to those asking for portable phones or closed phones or both. I bought the Eggos on recommendations from others as well. I only want to point out that there are some issues with leakage.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2003 at 2:47 PM Post #29 of 48
That's very true, especially for those who are only thinking of portable use and sound leakage is an issue. It kills me how people ask about isolation and the d66.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #30 of 48
How did led zeppelin sound through those eggos? Just curious, as, like a million other people or so, led zeppelin is my favourite band and I'll listen to them a lot. I'm thinking of moving up from the KSC35's and have ~$200. I'd really appreciate your opinions about its sound. The most euphonic part is the "crisp"ness and chunkiness and bite and squeal of a Jimmy's tone; do the eggoes portray this quality or does it smooth out the sound too much?

Do you think it would be good for guitar practice, too? I don't want to disturb anybody with my amp on, so I'm wanting some headphones to use with that.

thnx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back