Eggos? Are they right for me?
Jul 17, 2004 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

strangepanda

New Head-Fier
Lately i've been looking at a pair of sony d66 eggos along with koss 50's to be my sets for the stretch of time until i can afford another pair...
eggosmile.gif
But as much as i'm enjoying what reviews are saying+plus the little bit of portability to them, i'm still wondering if these eggos are the right cans for me.

For me bass is a magor aspect, i like some, but not enough to overpower the music. With my cheap pair of mdr v300's it was almost torture to hear the bass completely engulf everything else. I couldn't help but focus on the simple little bass lines. But i want that to change with my next set, but still keep a good amount too.

I have around an $100usd budget, and am looking for something with good quality, but still some portability to them. If there's anyway to keep some of those current audio savings, that'd be great too. Any suggestions?

Jul 17, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 20
Do not buy the Eggo's unless you like piercing highs and cans that sound like a pair of Sennheiser MX500 ear buds.

If you want portability within the same pricerange I suggest the E2c if you like canalphones or the Sony V6. The Eggo's are worth $40, not $90.

Jul 17, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 20
eggos sound like stock earbuds (according to my friend who sold them) and I really disklike their sound. Don't waste your money.

Biggie.

Jul 17, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 20
I can't think of any two cans that are about as far apart in sound than Eggos and E2s. As much as you may think the Eggos have piercing highs the Shures have just as much of a muddy bass.

The fact of the matter is that both cans have their pros and cons.

D66 - Does lack impact in the bass. IMHO it lacks something in the midbass frequency or perhaps lower midrange. It makes the highs more discernable, which may be why you might think them piercing. They can sound boxy to me on some recordings. However, they are very clean and detailed and are especially nice with classical music. They are not great with rock, though. I have started using a 120 ohm adapter with them and it really smooths everything out. Of course, that adds an extra $15 to the price and I agree that the Eggos are a bit overpriced. But what do you want for a Japanese import. Also, with the extra impedence you need to run them out of an amp.

E2 - Definitely suffers from a rolled off treble, especially at lower volumes. An amp helps bring out the highs more but the volume still needs to be up fairly high. It's hard to find the "sweet spot" where you're getting some detail in the high end and they're not too loud. I really like the midrange from them, giving them a warm, smooth non-fatiguing sound. Definitely, a good rock performer although the bass can be a little muddy, especially with the foamies. Nothing like the V300 though (I happen to have a pair of those, too). And of course, some folks don't like canalphones.

Jul 17, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 20
When I was in Korea for a month I only had my Eggo's and the ER-6. I ended up putting my Eggo's back in my suitcase on the second day there and not using them at all. Plus the Eggo's aren't all that comfortable... Decent sound + uncomfortability = frustration.

Jul 17, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 20
i had a long love/hate relationship with my eggo d66. i ended up putting a layer of fiberglass speaker insulation in the earcups. now on their third, maybe forth chance the d66 has me a believer. they are better than the v6 in many ways, but do not have the v6 dynamics and bass depth. they are more even and have a wider soundstage than the v6, plus they are much more portable. i would say pull the trigger on the eggos, and stick with them. they have hidden qualities that are worth the effort.

Jul 17, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 20
The usual mixed opinions on the phones are coming up...
biggrin.gif
It's natural i guess, since it's love or hate with thes headphones. I'm not really interested in the e2c's that were earlier mentioned, mainly cause i'm not really into canalphones. Or any in-ear phones for that matter. I think i'll get in the market for these and get them from someone on head-fi maybe. I can always resell them if i turn out to be one of those people that hate them!
eggosmile.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 20
The ones saying they suck and sound like stock earbuds are just thread crapping.
rolleyes.gif

The eggos aren't a second coming, nor are they the worst headphone ever. They're just a nice pleasent set of cans that come close to a full-size headphone sound while remaining relatively small. However they are as big a headphone as I'd want to carry for portable use. I didn't have a problem at all with comfort either, but I guess this depends on ear and head size. The headband is completely flexible.

They try to wrap the sound up into a mock neutrality. The bass is there, but imagine it stuck way back in the back of the room. But besides that I enjoyed them much more than I did the sr60s.

If this is the kind of sound you're after, the eggos may be for you.
eggosmile.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 20
I love my Eggos!! They are very light and comfortable, portable, and sound extremely respectable. Nothing wrong with the highs for me. Isolation is a small issue; they don't let much sound out, but let in quite a bit of ambient noise.

This feature kind of makes sense if you consider that they were made in Japan for the Japanese market where people ride on crowded trains where disturbing the people around oneself is rude but on the other hand hearing train announcements (for example) is also important. My Sony MD has a timer function with a beep to wake you up in case you fall asleep and are about to miss your station.

Good phones; especially if you are not crazy about canalphones and portability is an issue, they are your best bet!

-kaitsuburi

Jul 17, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaitsuburi
I love my Eggos!! They are very light and comfortable, portable, and sound extremely respectable. Nothing wrong with the highs for me. Isolation is a small issue; they don't let much sound out, but let in quite a bit of ambient noise.

This feature kind of makes sense if you consider that they were made in Japan for the Japanese market where people ride on crowded trains where disturbing the people around oneself is rude but on the other hand hearing train announcements (for example) is also important. My Sony MD has a timer function with a beep to wake you up in case you fall asleep and are about to miss your station.

Good phones; especially if you are not crazy about canalphones and portability is an issue, they are your best bet!

-kaitsuburi

awesome...can't wait to get mine! i think they sound like a good buy to me. I dunno if i'm gonna order from a site or try and find a pair here on head-fi yet though. Glad i've made a decision!

Jul 17, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 20
Mine came in the mail last week and they're a good ways into the burn in. So far I love them. I've never liked overpowering bass either. As for the bass on the D66's, its a decent level for my tastes, I can hear and discern it just fine. Everything else sounds great.

As for uncomfortability, I don't see it, I've been wearing these for hours on end. The cups fit my ears exactly and everything is extremely comfortable.

As for the comment on classical I agreed. They sounded great listening to some Bach Brandenburg's.

I use them for much the same purpose, at college when I'm out and about, studying outside of residence, or trying not to disturb my room mate.

I think they're going to work perfectly and I am completely happy with this purchase. I hope you will be too.

Ploop.

Yiggy.

Jul 17, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 20
Needs amp? Sounds like stock earbuds? Perhaps it's me picking nits but the more I read these boards, the more I wonder if many people actually own what they claim to. A regurgitated post or a 10-second listen hardly counts as experience.

Plainsong is almost right on the money regarding the phone. I happen to think the SR60 sounds better, but are handicapped as they are much less practical than the Eggos for portable use. Head size will not be an issue... They fit me (Nogginus Hugeus). Ear size will be. People with 'Prince Charles Ears' will probably suffer.

I generally liked the sound, which is as described by those who know what they're saying... not bassy, but clean without being overly sterile with a decent staging. Generally agreeable, if not incredibly good cans. In my experience however, the Eggos' portability is something of a halfway house: You can't stick them in a pocket, and leaving them around your neck is inviting the 'auto-strangle' function caused by the memory wire of the Eggo headband. I also decided I need true isolation (in and out) for my own uses, and as such I found the Eggo engineering (deliberately lets sound in but doesn't let it out) less than useful.

Jul 17, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Needs amp? Sounds like stock earbuds? Perhaps it's me picking nits but the more I read these boards, the more I wonder if many people actually own what they claim to. A regurgitated post or a 10-second listen hardly counts as experience.

Plainsong is almost right on the money regarding the phone. I happen to think the SR60 sounds better, but are handicapped as they are much less practical than the Eggos for portable use. Head size will not be an issue... They fit me (Nogginus Hugeus). Ear size will be. People with 'Prince Charles Ears' will probably suffer.

Yes, thank you. I've had the Eggo's for over 3 months and have listenend to them for more than 300 hours. The SR-60's are much better with about 2/3s of the cost of the Eggos. Like I said the Eggos should be priced around $40.

Jul 17, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 20
I don't think anyone will argue that the D66s are a great value, even those who love it (like myself). But it's a pair of headphones that has a rather specific purpose, and for those who enjoy its qualities, it's great. Sound quality is objective, but I very much prefer its sound style to the SR-60s and the V6s, and a bit to the HD497s as well, with those being the three other <$100 phones I've compared them to - it could use a tad more bass, but I wouldn't trade the clarity in the highs for it. It's more comfortable than any of them as well (though ears get rather warm), and MUCH more practical as portables.

The only problem I have with them is the afore-mentioned uncomfort if you put them around your neck...

~KS

Jul 17, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by refault
Yes, thank you. I've had the Eggo's for over 3 months and have listenend to them for more than 300 hours. The SR-60's are much better with about 2/3s of the cost of the Eggos. Like I said the Eggos should be priced around $40.

I should have emphasised that the SR60's were hopeless portable phones so the sonic advantage was moot in such a situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back