eggo, hd-280, or v6???
Apr 23, 2003 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Kaji

New Head-Fier
Straight and to the point..before i was considering the hd280 and v6 only (leaning more towards the 280) and now i've added the eggo's to my list

music: phish, dead, cake, they might be giants, some clapton, even some bone thugz :p but mainly phish and dead

gaming: counterstrike..i need to be able to pinpoint an enemy

reason: college, i want something that wont piss my roomate and others off (my logitech z640's probably will late at night). i have heard the eggos arent completely sealed but they do a good job of keeping sound in (and out)

i wont probably be buying an amp (unless i become addicted to this stuff like u guys are) and it will be run off of a turtle beach santa cruz, my z640 input, or a standard cd player

portability is a plus but not needed...price doesnt really matter, they are all between like 70-90 so just which is better?

Apr 23, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 31
From what I've read the v6 will give you the best sound. A lot of people think the 280s are like clamps and sound pretty bad. Read some reviews of them. The v6s have a pretty big following and if you don't mind getting them used they can be gotten pretty cheaply. The eggos look pretty funny in my opinion and if you want closed headphones they won't really cut it.

Apr 23, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 31
I recomend the V6s. They are great for counterstrike, and leak no sound unless you have them turned up really really high. The problem I see is that they are somewhat of a pain to carry about because of the coiled cord.

Depending on the size of your ears, they either rest on top of your ears or over your ears, so I cannot predict how comfy they will be out of the box (crucial for extended CS sessions), but I have heard that you can replace the pads with those for Beyer headphones and they are super-comfy.

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 31
Im in the same boat as you pretty much. The v6 is a pretty safe bet. More bass than the 280 and most people like them. However they have somewhat "harsh" highs.

280's are great also, lots of people love them but they require a long burn in time. Some don't care for them due to tight fit but they don't have the harsh highs of the v6. However they have less bass. They have better isolation due to larger earcups.

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 31
Any headphones will pinpoint accuracy for you very well. Eggos are fine, except a bit lacking on bass, although the mod has done wonders for the Eggos.

If you listen to half volume (moderate volume) your roommates won't be able to hear you at night with the Eggos. The eggos are great for portability, but not worth $100 imho ($60 would be the best price point methinks).

If you're in that price range, I think your best bet would be the HD580's. I used them for about half a year unamped from my TBSC versajack out, and it worked great. I must say that it was much better with an amp, and now I use the digital out into my Denon 1802 to my HD580's, but still, HD580's is a fun starting point, they're comfortable, and they're the only pair of headphones I can wear (and listen to) for hours on end (hours of CS
wink.gif
)

If you don't feel like going that high, before I upgraded to the HD580's I was using the V6's. No complaints here, although I liked the HD580's much better; they just had a much bigger "WOW" factor when I showed them off compared to the V6's.

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by NewSc2
If you're in that price range, I think your best bet would be the HD580's. I used them for about half a year unamped from my TBSC versajack out, and it worked great. I must say that it was much better with an amp, and now I use the digital out into my Denon 1802 to my HD580's, but still, HD580's is a fun starting point, they're comfortable, and they're the only pair of headphones I can wear (and listen to) for hours on end (hours of CS
wink.gif
)

If you don't feel like going that high, before I upgraded to the HD580's I was using the V6's. No complaints here, although I liked the HD580's much better; they just had a much bigger "WOW" factor when I showed them off compared to the V6's.

But the 580's will leak more sound than the 280's for sure, and probably more than the V6's.

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 31
The problems with the V6 is the lack of soundstage. Which is no good for CS. (me=CS player)

While the bass makes for some really good gun sound effects, I found the lack of soundstage, makes it VERY hard to pinpoint footsteps.

Me personally, I use a pair of SportaPros for CS, but then again, I can use an open can when I play CS.

Apr 23, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 31
It's an accurate, monitor style headphone that also places an emphasis on isolation. It's not the most musical or involving headphone, but it's not even close to "pretty bad." I like mine a lot for what it does well, which is isolate me from outside sounds and provide a fairly flat frequency response. If you want artificially emphasized bass or highs, it's not for you.

Comparing apples to apples, I don't know of another can that offers this kind of isolation and sound quality for less than $100.

Apr 23, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
The problems with the V6 is the lack of soundstage. Which is no good for CS. (me=CS player)

?? Bah, I suppose I just got used to the V6. With EAX enabled I have no trouble locating footsteps/shots. I find the HD580s inadequate for gameing, especially so if you have a loud computer.

For all you CS players, I highly reccomend the cs realism update, as the sounds (and models) are just so much better.

Apr 23, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #12 of 31
I'm pretty new to this, so I haven't heard the others, but I can vouch for the V6's myself. I've been using a 7506 for a while now, and so far it's been my only headphone puchase over $30. I got them because they seemed to be a safe bet, and I'm happy with them so far.

I listen to all kinds of music, mostly various types of rock, and they do well for me. It's not perfect of course. The weaknesses that are mentioned about them do show, but overall I'm happy with them for music.

The lack of soundstage is certainly noticeable, and a larger one would be nice, but the lack doesn't bother me personally that much.

Without the pad change, they aren't as comfortable as they could be, but good enough to be worn for hours without problems on my head at least.

They can be fatigueing for music due to the harsh highs, but I've found that crossfeeding and just getting used to them does away with most of the fatigue problems.

I honestly haven't played CS myself, yet. I keep telling myself that I should try it. Anyway, I have played other FPS games that involve picking out positions of sounds, and they work well in that area. It seems, though, that any headphone should be good for this. The sound of them is great for games. They do a wonderful job with reports and explosions.

It runs fine out of anything. I'd imagine they, like any decent 'phones, would be helped by better amplification, but they sound good without.

Apr 23, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Sand

They can be fatigueing for music due to the harsh highs, but I've found that crossfeeding and just getting used to them does away with most of the fatigue problems.

Can I "Toughen Up" My Ears?
No, if you think you have grown used to a loud noise, it probably has damaged your ears, and there is no treatment - no medicine, no surgery, not even a hearing aid that truly corrects your hearing once it is damaged by noise.

Apr 24, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #14 of 31
Hrm, getting such mixed reviews :p

So i want a good soundstage for pinpointing enemies right? (i dont quite understand what u guys mean by soundstage, but i think it means it doesnt sound like just a left and right, more like the sound is around you and spread out)

v6 doesnt have a good soundstage from what you guys are saying..and i read it has a lot of bass (i dont think i would like that), also it doesnt cover your ears completely so i dunno if i will like that

280 wasnt talked about much here...nothing great or bad about it. i think they look too big though, i want to use these outside too as i walk around campus (going to CWRU btw, in cleveland)

i would have thought most of you would tell me to get the eggo's...i havent read a single bad thing about them, all praise

give me more feedback!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by nales
Can I "Toughen Up" My Ears?
No, if you think you have grown used to a loud noise, it probably has damaged your ears, and there is no treatment - no medicine, no surgery, not even a hearing aid that truly corrects your hearing once it is damaged by noise.

I didn't word that very well, and you misunderstood. I'll try explain what I said there better.

What I mean by fatigue isn't a matter of them being too loud. That's painful and has aftereffects I would recognise. This is simply slightly annoying mentally, and that annoyance can add up. Unless not having the crossfeeding in place was ruining my hearing somehow, I doubt these phones were doing that
tongue.gif
It's when I tried crossfeed plugins in winamp on my pc that I noticed the big change, and now I try to listen through that when possible. So, whatever you call what that fixes, was probably causing most of it. It seems that this would also explain why I found music fatigueing, but not games.

I blame the harsh highs simply because I do notice them some, and that, it seems, is what most people blame fatigue with V6s on, so it's likely that that has had some effect on me as well. I'm no expert on this, trying to figure out what's "wrong" with what I'm hearing. I'm just trying to use what I've read while lurking here for a while along with what I've learned through my own limited experience, and saying something that is hopefully at least partially true.

I say I got used to them because, well, that's true for every headphone I've listened to for a signifigant amount of time. They've all seemed to change over time as I've listened to them.

In any case, I've been noticing more little things in what I listen to after more time using them, and I'm listening to them at an even lower volume than I used to. It would be news to me if that's a sign of hearing damage.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back