Eggo Face-Off: D77 vs. D66
Mar 30, 2005 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AdamWill

Headphoneus Supremus
So my lovely shiny new Eggo D77s arrived in the mail today. They're used, so no need for burn-in, and I sat right down to compare them to my D66s.

Preliminary stuff: equipment - Chaintech AV710 (regular DAC, due to Linux driver issues) -> Twinstarr Black amp -> headphones. Source: CD playing via goobox. Test tracks: Rilo Kiley - Does He Love You?; Rilo Kiley - A Man / Me / Then Jim; The Decemberists - Eli The Barrow Boy; Interpol - Slow Hands; Interpol - Evil. Control headphones: Grado SR-80.

OK, so, the following conclusions were drawn.

1: There is not a huge difference between the D66s and D77s. They are clearly very comparable phones from the same range. They sound very similar overall. There is a much, much more obvious difference between each one and the Grados.

2: Both headphones are clearly inferior to the Grados in terms of clarity, detail and accuracy.

3: The D77s have a warmer, more natural tone than the D66s. They are very slightly more detailed, most obviously in the bass. This is apparent on the (very helpful for comparisons) intro to Evil, which consists of single, plucked bass notes. The SR-80 easily resolves each note and the detail of its playing, along with the background tape hiss. The D77s approach this ability. The D66s sound very slightly artificial and don't clearly distinguish the plucking noises from the tape hiss. The differences between the two hold true all the way through the range of sound and are confirmed by the other test tracks; in particular, the acoustic guitar introductions to Eli The Barrow Boy and A Man / Me / Then Jim sound more warm and natural on the D77s, with the D66s sounding very slightly cold and artificial in contrast. They don't quite sound like a guitar.

Overall, the legendary status of the D77s clearly has more to do with rarity value than quality. They're definitely not worth $220 (as someone on eBay paid last week) on audio quality alone, though as collector's items, they may be. The <$100 Grado SR-80s have very clearly better sound quality; Sennheiser or Grado phones in the $200 range would pulverize them. However, they *are* audibly, though subtly, better than the D66s, and worth picking up if Eggos are what you want and you can get them for under $100. No-one with the D66s should be losing any sleep, though, as the superiority of the D77s isn't massive by any means.

As for the earpads, the D77s are pleather and the D66s foam. FWIW, I prefer the D66s slightly, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over that either. They're both extremely comfortable.

Hope this comparison was useful! Anyone else who's heard both, feel free to add your impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 9
yep, for sure. If I were to put the difference between them, disregarding rarity, into monetary terms, I'd say $20-$30 max.

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 9
Ive tried the SR60 and the SR80 and they have a good sound at a certin volume. You get the volume up and the eggos pulverize the grados. I play music mostly guitar but i will somtimes get my bass out and for playing my guitars none of the other headphones i tried could handle the levels the eggos can. The grados would poop out and start to distort. The eggos hold on for alot louder specialy playing my bass with those lower notes.

I guess the eggos are more for me because they seem to be more tuned for what i use them for, not just music but recording and playing my guitars. At times i get them pretty loud
eggosmile.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 9
bower: guess it might depend on your source, but I had everything at full volume at one point during testing (listening for tiny details) and the Grados held out fine. well above the 'painfully loud' threshold. But anyways, can we leave it there, this is meant to be Eggo vs. Eggo
smily_headphones1.gif
. What's your take on D77 vs. D66?

Mar 30, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the useful comparison. I purchased the D66 from Audiocubes and really like them straight out of the iPod. As you can imagine, I always wondered about the D77. . . Now I might use my $$ elsewhere.

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 9
One more thing I notice while listening to the D77s straight out of my Neuros at work - these phones gain a *lot* of bass when amped. My Grados have pretty much the same signature unamped and amped, but the Eggos seem a lot bassier through the amp.

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
bower: guess it might depend on your source, but I had everything at full volume at one point during testing (listening for tiny details) and the Grados held out fine. well above the 'painfully loud' threshold. But anyways, can we leave it there, this is meant to be Eggo vs. Eggo
smily_headphones1.gif
. What's your take on D77 vs. D66?

But you keep compairing them to the grados and IMO they are better then the SR60 and 80 in both bass and mids.

D77 have more bass then the D66, a lower deeper bass. The D77 have smoother highs then the D66 but ive grown to like the D66 because i use them more as beater cans and use the D77 for recording or when i really wana rock out.

IMO the eggos are better then the grados but the grados are what they are. Eggos won me over for many reasons other then just good sound.

After you mod the D66 the bass improves to a level near the bass of the D77 stock. Once you mod the D77 they reach bass levels near the DT770 and that is why i sold my pair. Im a bass head and after you open the D77s you get the bass of the DT770 and the mids of the D66. They are the perfect pair of headphones for me.
eggosmile.gif

I have 2 of the D77 one stock and one with the bass mod. 3 D66 one japan moded and one philipenese moded and a stock set of philipenese. D55 japan, and 3 of the D22s 2 moded 1 stock. I use the D66 and D77 the most, ive robbed the pads off the D55 and D22s for the D66 and D77
eggosmile.gif

best headphones sonys ever built IMO

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 9
People that like Eggo's seem to REALLY like Eggo's. BoweR64 isn't the only one, here is pic of profingers8er's (from Mistic River boards) Eggo collection:

DSC03774.jpg

I just got a pair of D66's and I love them. I feel no need to get D77's or Grado's (which I was considering). The Eggo's sound great, are very comfortable, and small enough to be portable. I love their design. I am getting a pair of Gemini Eggphones (knock-off D22's), just to see how they are (and maybe get some cheap replacement pads if they fit).

topdjgear_1825_21798373

Users who are viewing this thread

Back