Eggo d66SL vs V6?
Mar 30, 2003 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Khazim

100+ Head-Fier
I know there's been alot of eggo vs whatever threads lately, but could anyone compare the Sony Eggo d66SL and MDR-V6 for me? I currently have V6s and I like them, but the Eggos seem more portable and more comfortable. Would it be worth it to get some Eggos to replace my V6 headphones and then sell the V6s? I really like the deep bass of the V6, is the bass with the Eggos okay? Also, sound leakage is an important factor, but I've read that the Eggos don't really leak sound. My last question (for now) is about how much would I get for my unmodded nearly 1 year old V6s if I sold em? Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 5
I have both (I seem to have both of everything cheap).

Is there any way you can hang on to your Sony V6s? IMHO, the least impressive part of the eggos is bass. I find the lack of bass in the eggos frustrating for some recordings, but just fine for others. I EQ in a little bass when I can.

The V6s, on the other hand, will never, ever let you down for bass, as you know by now.
wink.gif
And you say you like your bass. The V6s have a world class LOW BASS HUMP. It's AWESOME.

So, yeah, the rest is just okay. [Edit: Actually, I just threw my V6s on for a listen. The rest is pretty darn good, just not great like the bass.]

You could get some Beyer pads for your V6s if comfort is the major issue. I got Beyer pads for my V6s and now they are long-term-listening material.

Other than the bass, to my ears the D66 eggos are smoother, cleaner, more musical, more neutral, and not so cold. But I am concerned that if you ditch your V6s for D66s, some day, somewhere, you'll regret it. You'll be asking,

WHERE'S THE BASS?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

My advice: whatever you do, keep your V6s. They're classics anyway.

Quote:

Originally posted by Khazim
could anyone compare the Sony Eggo d66SL and MDR-V6 for me?

I really like the deep bass of the V6, is the bass with the Eggos okay?

Mar 30, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 5
I did exactly what you're thinking of doing and here's my complaints. I was willing to sacrifice the v6 bass for a lighter more musically and tamed bass, but after a while I miss the fun. I prefer "fun" portable headphones than detailed and accurate ones. I was hoping that the midrange on the eggos would be slightly better than the v6, but I found the improvement unsatisfying, and the midrange is a critical part in how I judge headphones. Isolation reduced dramatically and leakage has become a bit of a problem when the volume is up higher, especially in a environment like a library. The eggos do however air up the sound, giving it small and subtle, but existant soundstage to it and the highs are never harsh like the v6. Eggos are more neutral with a slightly recessed midrange and the v6 is more of what I like to call a "treble and bass" headphone. Both have compromises and the only way you can win is to buy both
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 5
i have the D66sl and the 7506 (which seems like a clone of the V6, but that's an endless debate altogether), and i agree with everything that's been said.

i love the bass extension of the 7506 and the amazing detail. but the D66 eggos do have an airy quality and opens up the soundstage a bit, is a bit more musical and not too analytical like the 7506.

what i do wish is for both phones to have a better midrange. the 7506 need better midrange altogether, and the D66 need a SMOOTHER midrange. both are decidedly cold sounding headphones, with the D66 less of an offender in that respect.

but like soupy said, buy both!
biggrin.gif
i love both of my headphones. do i think the 7506 is overpriced? not really... find the V6 for a cheaper price, although they're increasingly becoming scarce. do i think the D66sl is overpriced? yeah... but that instant gratification of having the coolest portable headphones in your hands (and on your head) makes them totally worth the asking price.

cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Khazim
I know there's been alot of eggo vs whatever threads lately, but could anyone compare the Sony Eggo d66SL and MDR-V6 for me? I currently have V6s and I like them, but the Eggos seem more portable and more comfortable. Would it be worth it to get some Eggos to replace my V6 headphones and then sell the V6s? I really like the deep bass of the V6, is the bass with the Eggos okay? Also, sound leakage is an important factor, but I've read that the Eggos don't really leak sound. My last question (for now) is about how much would I get for my unmodded nearly 1 year old V6s if I sold em? Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure how the D66 sounds, as I have the D77, but there are certainly merits in both. The eggos are certainly more accurate as well as more sensitive. The V6/7506 has a sound more like that of a ported cone-driver speaker, the eggo more like that of an electrostatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back