efficiency?
Jan 30, 2011 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lazerboyz

Head-Fier
hi guys,

i know people say that LCD-2 has low impedance but also low efficiency. that said, so what is the ideal spec of the amp to drive them, other than schiit LYR which isnt released, is there any amps out there that is actually produced to drive such low efficiency low impedance headphones with gusto?

thanks

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 6
your question doesnt make much sense, hence the lack of response, I suppose.  the problem, I believe, is that youre buying into the B.S. marketing of companies such as schiit who have people convinced that planar headphones somehow need more power than a substantial number of speakers

any number of amps can control headphones with an impedance of 50ohms, so that is a null issue.  with regard to efficiency, 91db/1mW is not terribly inefficient, and just about any headphone amp will drive these headphones to ear-bleeding levels, if you want them to. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
if what you said's true, that'd be awesome :)

It's true to a point, there are a number of factors to weigh in, such as amplifier gain and amplifier input sensitivity and source output levels.  It's the HE-6 that will need more power at 83.5dB/mW.  On the LCD-2, if you need to hit high dynamic peaks, you will need no more than 1W to reach 120dB.  To reach 110dB, you need 80mW.

Some basic high school physics is all you need to figure this stuff out.  Since planars hold their resistance steady over frequency, it's less guess-work based off nominal impedance measurements.

Quote:
the problem, I believe, is that youre buying into the B.S. marketing of companies such as schiit who have people convinced that planar headphones somehow need more power

I don't think it's the manufacturers that are doing it, but rather the "more power" people.  The ones that say you need "more power" to "drive" something like the HD650, when they have no technical quantification or qualification of what it is.  As such everything gets lumped into "more power".  Manufacturers, rightly so, would tap into this dogma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back