Effects on amplifiers for the Etymotic ER4 series....
Apr 27, 2003 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fyleow

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone done comparisons of the Ety ER4s/P with different amps? In the short time that I owned the ER4S I noticed almost no difference whether I powered them from my KG amp or directly from the line out of my jukebox. Do my ears suck or are these headphones just really headphone independent?

Apr 27, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 9
well, it's partly just you and it's partly source independent.

The ER4Ss don't sound too great when underpowered. They sound thin out of my jukebox (i dunno, maybe I had the seal wrong while i was testing this). When hooked up to my cha47, a whole new sound emerges from them. They are no longer thin and dull, they become a much more lively pair of canal-phones. I haven't heard them on high-end equipment first-hand, but I've been told the ER4Ss do sound better as you go along.

Apr 27, 2003 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 9
I find a huge difference between listening with my Ety4p's directly from my SlimX or from my Meta42. Much more detail and clarity. The music seems more alive.

You mention a "jukebox". Is your source MP3? If so, there may not be much difference to hear.

Apr 27, 2003 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by fyleow
directly from the line out of my jukebox. Do my ears suck or are these headphones just really headphone independent?

I use Ety 4P w/o S adapter directly from HP out of NJB3 sometimes. I played with NJB3 custom EQ a bit. I set them at 3-5-3-5 respectively and I could yeild 4S sound (don't mean 100%) w/o underpowered the phones. You might here differently. Lineout + amp is still better though.

my 2c

Apr 27, 2003 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by bubbaj
I find a huge difference between listening with my Ety4p's directly from my SlimX or from my Meta42. Much more detail and clarity. The music seems more alive.

You mention a "jukebox". Is your source MP3? If so, there may not be much difference to hear.

i agree totally
yesterday i heard my 4p's + ipod with numerous amps
soundstage oprned up, bass became tighter, music was just more enjoyable
my favorite amp s were 2 meta 42
1 with 1 9v.
the other with 2 9v. was just awesome
they were 2 of the first metas built buy JMT

if those blew me away, imagining what he's building now

I Feel Like A JMT AD
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 9
Wow really? My ears must just suck then, haha that's a good thing if I can't tell the difference so I save money
smily_headphones1.gif

My sources are WAV ripped directly from CD played on the Nomad Jukebox 3.

Ahh well, happy with my current setup already. Was just looking at a portable setup but guess I'll fix that up sometime later since I don't listen to music much outside.

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 9
i also tried pcdp , line out, ety & amp

still a noticable difference
source = panasonic dvd-L50 portable dvd player

Apr 29, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 9
fyleow, I don't think you're crazy. When I owned the ER4S I didn't find too much difference with them in sound whether I was using a Melos or the headphone out of a pcdp. There was a difference, but it was very small.

Apr 29, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 9
haha its really funny actually just a few days ago i realized what i was missing out on! I have owned a pair of er4s phones for more thana year now and when i first got them i always used them on the line out from a good cdplayer plus my total airhead amp and i remember being really really impressed with them. I stopped lugging that around campus because it was just too much trouble and used other headphones cept when i traveled. I started wearing them again and using them just with my ipod a few weeks ago. Ever since then ive felt they were kinda boring and had no depth to them even though they sounded good...i started to regret my purchase...then i came home today and linked the ipod to my TAH to the phones and BOOM depth, clarity, FUN! It all came back, you CAN power these things through a headphone jack and yeild better than avg sound but you really wont see what you are missing (this is coming from someone who HATES using amps if he can avoid it) on these phones till you give em at least a little more juice!!! good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back