Effects of sound absorbing foam on open headphones.
Dec 30, 2010 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

suhaybh

100+ Head-Fier
I don't really understand the mechanics of sound. What would happen to the sound of an open grado headphone if I placed soundexmini foam at the end of grado headphones. The aim is to maintain the open sound of the headphones while keeping my listening experience private. What will happen to the sound?

http://www.silentsource.com/efs/sonexminispecs.htm

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi, 

I don't have those particular headphones so I can't exactly say what would happen. Though, open headphones are designed to be open, and closing the back most probably has some effect, e.g., resonances move, bass gets thinner.. However, the material that you mentioned is not that dense, so doing your mod might reduce the external sound radiation at higher frequencies, and have fairly little effect on the frequency response. But still, this is just guessing.. 

But hey, why don't you just try how it works. Cut two pieces of the material, and try placing them on the back of your headphones while listening to the headphones. You should be able to hear if there is any audible effect.

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 3
Funny thread title, or funny how I first read it. I visualized the foam on a headphone kind of shrinking and evaporating itself as if being burned, just because sound was hitting it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back