Effect Audio x Elysian Acoustic Labs Gaea - Discussion & Impression Thread
Dec 16, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #167 of 186
Thanks, how big is the difference compared to the stock cable? Is it more subtle than changing dacs?
It depends I suppose, I don’t have a desktop stack where I am changing out DACs so it’s usually a complete source change (DAC + Amp) so I cannot speak definitively. It’s also the question of what DAC? Am I changing from an entry level SMSL to an entry level Topping or is it a shift from something like ESS to an R2R DAC?

I found the largest changes were with cables like the Code23, Fusion and the Cleo which are obviously more expensive than the likes of the Ares and the Cadmus.

You may read this and think it’s just confirmation bias and my brain thinking “more expensive = better” which may be true as well.

I hate to be cryptic but it’s a pretty open ended question. If you’re already skeptical about cables then maybe you should experiment with ear tip rolling or source rolling first before buying a cable?

Dec 16, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #168 of 186
It depends I suppose, I don’t have a desktop stack where I am changing out DACs so it’s usually a complete source change (DAC + Amp) so I cannot speak definitively. It’s also the question of what DAC? Am I changing from an entry level SMSL to an entry level Topping or is it a shift from something like ESS to an R2R DAC?

I found the largest changes were with cables like the Code23, Fusion and the Cleo which are obviously more expensive than the likes of the Ares and the Cadmus.

You may read this and think it’s just confirmation bias and my brain thinking “more expensive = better” which may be true as well.

I hate to be cryptic but it’s a pretty open ended question. If you’re already skeptical about cables then maybe you should experiment with ear tip rolling or source rolling first before buying a cable?
Thanks, I was referring to changing from something like an ESS to R2R Dac. I don't doubt your experience with cable rolling but just not sure if it would be worth the price if the changes are minuscule and since the cables you've mentioned are almost the price of the iem itself.

I already tried tip rolling and source rolling and they do make a difference, some changes are noticeable and some are not.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #169 of 186
Thanks, I was referring to changing from something like an ESS to R2R Dac. I don't doubt your experience with cable rolling but just not sure if it would be worth the price if the changes are minuscule and since the cables you've mentioned are almost the price of the iem itself.

I already tried tip rolling and source rolling and they do make a difference, some changes are noticeable and some are not.
I don’t have much experience with cable rolling is the funny part. I won’t bother with it until I had spent all I wanted to on IEMs I wanted first to be honest.

So if you’re not trying to “fix” or change anything with the Gaea it’s probably not going to be worth the cost of just putting those funds to another IEM where you’re going to hear a jump in sound quality.

Dec 17, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #171 of 186
I find the Gaea to be an excellent platform for EQ, if that's your thing and your use-case allows. It's easy to EQ to a traditional neutral (think Monarch-esque) with some cuts to the midrange and lower treble. I also fill in the lower mids because I like a little more richness but I think this is unnecessary.

Dec 17, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #172 of 186
I find the Gaea to be an excellent platform for EQ, if that's your thing and your use-case allows. It's easy to EQ to a traditional neutral (think Monarch-esque) with some cuts to the midrange and lower treble. I also fill in the lower mids because I like a little more richness but I think this is unnecessary.
Thanks for the suggestion, I tried EQing the gaea's female vocals to diva but unfortunately hear a slight hissing sound in the background. The attack of electric guitars appears to be softer as well as a result. Not sure if what I'm hearing is a result of a quieter sound or my brain being bias though. Here's the EQ settings I've used:

Code:
Preamp: -3.4 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 1100 Hz Gain 3.4 dB Q 2.000
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1600 Hz Gain -3.1 dB Q 2.000

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #173 of 186
Thanks for the suggestion, I tried EQing the gaea's female vocals to diva but unfortunately hear a slight hissing sound in the background. The attack of electric guitars appears to be softer as well as a result. Not sure if what I'm hearing is a result of a quieter sound or my brain being bias though. Here's the EQ settings I've used:

Code:
Preamp: -3.4 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 1100 Hz Gain 3.4 dB Q 2.000
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1600 Hz Gain -3.1 dB Q 2.000
I go a bit extreme in the opposite direction but I'm also going for a very different target than you. Worth mentioning that I'm also sensitive to say 3k and 5k so mine looks like:

Peak filter, -4 db, 1600 hz, 2.0 q
High shelf, -2 db, 3250 hz, 1.0 q

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #174 of 186
Gaea just got better over time and I keep coming back to this IEM. It just got an upgrade with the Effect Audio Eros S cable. I think I'll keep this forever.
IMG_9608.jpeg

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #175 of 186
Late to the game. I ordered the last set from Effect Audio (sold out after my order). It just arrived. What a beauty. A piece of art. I sat there ogling at her sitting in the box for a good whole 5 minutes. Then she started to sing....

I am in love.

She looks petite, it's an illusion. Bigger than the Meteor, on par with the Crimson. The Prestige LTD looks big-boned in comparison.

Normally I can't stand J-pop or K-pop. On this beauty, maybe it's not so bad after all.

I have the Christmas, Griffin on hand, and Cadmus on the way. Now I just need to pry it from my ears first. Maybe not. Stock tips and cable sound so lovely. Not sure I want to mess with it. Hang on! No way. Azla Light Shorts sound even better. Soundstage seems to be a little more intimate now.
IMG_5371.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #176 of 186
Late to the game. I ordered the last set from Effect Audio (sold out after my order). It just arrived. What a beauty. A piece of art. I sat there ogling at her sitting in the box for a good whole 5 minutes. Then she started to sing....

I am in love.

She looks petite, it's an illusion. Bigger than the Meteor, on par with the Crimson. The Prestige LTD looks big-boned in comparison.

Normally I can't stand J-pop or K-pop. On this beauty, maybe it's not so bad after all.

I have the Christmas, Griffin on hand, and Cadmus on the way. Now I just need to pry it from my ears first. Maybe not. Stock tips and cable sound so lovely. Not sure I want to mess with it.
IMG_5371.jpeg
Nice collection!
Wondering what is the better option between LTD and Crimson. I heard that Symphonium audio flagships like Helios and Crimson have the best treble performance in the price range and LTD is also good in that aspect. And both of them are having a good soundstaging and resolution. How do you compare those two?

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #177 of 186
My 2 cents.

The Prestige LTD is smooth, the treble extends well, crispy. The lows are quality and not too much. Which is my preference. The soundstage and details are both good. Sometimes you get that who is that behind me! Turns out it's the track thingy.

The boys at Symphonium (Subtonic, Nightjar) are wizards. A wise woman once said. It's not how big it is that matters, it's how you use it. IMHO, Symphonium lives by that principle. The bass thumps, the treble is biting without hurting, vocals hit the right spots. It's a great all rounder. Whatever you read on the Crimson thread. It's true. You're going to find IEMs with more bass, better bass, better resolution, better extensions, etc. They won't have the magic of the tuning the crimson has.

I am now considering letting the Prestige LTD go. It's a good IEM, but I have great ones now. Add the Nightjar Singularity and possibly the Storm. I am hooked.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #178 of 186
Finally found what I can describe as the ultimate v-shaped IEM in the Gaea. If this is the precursor to the kind of sound that the Annihilator embodies, then I'm all hyped to eventually make that upgrade in the near future. Have had so much fun listening to edm, synthwave, jpop on this one for the last month now. Truly the best purchase (also best deal) of last year - all credits to Mr. Rockwell for this underrated gem, such a bargain it was xD.

Gaea.PNG

Feb 8, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #179 of 186
Gaea just got better over time and I keep coming back to this IEM. It just got an upgrade with the Effect Audio Eros S cable. I think I'll keep this forever.
IMG_9608.jpeg

That's a great cable! Haven't seen one with that sheathing in a while.

Finally found what I can describe as the ultimate v-shaped IEM in the Gaea. If this is the precursor to the kind of sound that the Annihilator embodies, then I'm all hyped to eventually make that upgrade in the near future. Have had so much fun listening to edm, synthwave, jpop on this one for the last month now. Truly the best purchase (also best deal) of last year - all credits to Mr. Rockwell for this underrated gem, such a bargain it was xD.

Gaea.PNG

Thanks so much! We appreciate it. Glad you're loving it.

Feb 19, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #180 of 186
I'd like to share a little discovery. The Gaea and iBasso DX260 is a bad pairing. The result is a cheap-fi sonic experience. Everything sounds thin and the vocals lack bite, even with female vocals. Bass is more thud than thump. Basslines don't engage. Stage and high extensions are the same. This is on stock tips + cable and the DX260 had over 100 hours of burn-in.

Went back to Fiio K9 Pro ESS and M11Plus. The difference is night and day. I guess such a tuning requires a good source pairing. I don't have anything AKM on hand to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back