Effect Audio SURPRISE New Year 2023 Drop! | CODE 23 - A New Copper Era Rises
Jan 20, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #32 of 41
ConX MMCX works with the IER-Z1R, which comes with the IEM version of this cable (?)
Yes, the default ConX Basic Set IEM connectors, which include 2-pin and MMCX and fits IER-Z1R IEMs (MMCX), is included with the IEM version of CODE 23.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 10.18.11 PM.png

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #34 of 41
One of these days, I was contacted by Jordon from Effect Audio, asking wether I'm interested in testing their new copper flagship Code 23.
After sharing some specs of the cable, I was interested in how it sounds.

So what is the Code 23?
The Code 23 is the new copper flagship from Effect Audio and their first release of an Overhead Headphone cable as a standard option.
It's made of UP-OCC Copper Litz with a 13 Multi-sized core bundle with solid Solid Core Design
What makes this unique compared to other copper cables?
It's a 2 Wire design with a massive 16.5 AWG gauge each!

For IEMs it's probably the most massive cable on the market (unless you ask for special creations, like I did with my Norne Silvergarde S4 IEM version)
For Headphone cables its overall gauge remains "normal" but the gauge per wire is still unique. (most comparable sized cables have a 4x19awg Design)

The build quality is great, solid craftsmanship all around. Considering the thick gauge it still remains flexible enough to be comfortable, however it is slightly stiff overall and even though the overall gauge of my Norne flagships is bigger they remain more flexible.
Not sure if this is due to the gauge or sleeve, or a combination of both.
On the bright side, these won't entangle in your pocket if you use it with IEMs and the sound is worth it.

I have the headphone version for review and can pair it with all my Flagships (Meze Elite, Empyrean, T+A Solitaire P etc.) to give them a proper listening test.
My unit is a dystopian black, which is a transparent black sleeve around the copper. Which gives it a nice brown shine.
20230123_112547.jpg

[Comparison shot with Norne Silvergarde S4 IEM Version]

So how does it actually sound?
Compared to my other copper cables(stock Meze + Audeze cables) the Code23 has increased detail. Which impressed me the most. Not quite on Fusion/Silver level but certainly among the best copper I've heard.
It's main strenght is the mid presentation which is very lush and mesmerizing. An overall authentic presentation.
The bass is very visceral and rumbles down to the deepest octaves with authority.

Thanks to @JordonEA and Effect Audio for this opportunity!
I'd be interested to see a 4 Wire version of this for overhead headphones.

I'm a sucker for thicc cables, therefore a comparison shot between the Code 23 and my Norne Vykari + Silvergared S4 8-wire (which are both roughly twice as thick as the Code23 - or as thick as a 4 wire version could be)
20230123_112727.jpg

[From Left to right: Norne Vykary - Effect Audio Code 23 - Norne Silvergarde S4 8-wire]

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #35 of 41
I'm still using the prototype Code 23 cable but I still find it quite the neat sounding cable. Not sure if I'll have a production unit to eventually review but I find it a good pairing as long as I can get it to work with IEMs that already stay tight seal wise in my ears. My prototype has a thicker sleeve than the production cable so my only gripe with the cable isn't all that important or relevant compared to the final consumer cables.

As for my impressions after a few weeks with the prototype. I find this code 23 has a very prominent bass impact or slam quality. It was at least very noticeable on my first listen with it. The mids are a little on the warmer side but I found them still accurate sounding on most IEMs. Vocals have a better sense of space with this cable and I find the vocals are more enjoyable when paired with IEMs that are good with vocals in general. Seems to really bring out a little extra quality to the vocals IMO. The treble is well controlled and I don't think it holds back the details from the treble at all. It however doesn't really add anything either and I find the bass and mids to be the real star of the show with this Code 23. I'm very impressed with this cable and I've been using it a lot lately and it's been a good pairing even with the new Letshuoer Cadenza 12 which is already a very wonder neutral/warm tuned flagship IEM. The Code 23 really does bring out a wider bassier sound on the Cadenza 12 that really makes me smile.
DSC07790.jpg

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #40 of 41
Make sure you guys do give this one a listen. It is an impressive cable in all matters. Design, sound and price. it breaks a lot of paradigms about IEM cable design.

Feb 20, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #41 of 41
You'll be able to order and have it shipped to you afterwards. I've bought cables from EA at CanJams before and this was how it worked each time. Very easy process.
Yes, that's right 😃

@John Blackshear Do pop by our booth at D13 to give the CODE 23 a try. If you like it, you may purchase from us then 🙌🏽

- Jordon

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back